Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MLB thread

    http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...ez-9-28-start/

    Braves fire manager Fredi Gonzalez after 9-28 start ATLANTA — The Atlanta Braves have fired manager Fredi Gonzalez, who couldn’t survive the worst record in the majors.
    Braves general manager John Coppolella confirmed the firing of Gonzalez, who was in his sixth season. The numbers for the Braves are dismal: they have lost two straight and eight of 10, have baseball’s worst record at 9-28 and already are 13 1/2 games out of first place in the NL East.
    The Braves are expected to discuss the move at a news conference later Tuesday.
    There was no immediate announcement from the team on who will take over for Gonzalez either on an interim or full-time basis.
    Gonzalez replaced Hall of Fame manager Bobby Cox, who retired following the 2010 season.
    "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

  • #2
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15...-jose-bautista
    Rougned Odor gets 8-game suspension for punching Jose Bautista

    Texas Rangers second baseman Rougned Odor received an eight-game suspension for punching Toronto Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista on Sunday, Major League Baseball announced Tuesday. Bautista received a one-game ban for his actions and postgame comments.
    In total, 14 players and staff were disciplined for their roles in the brawl at Globe Life Park in Arlington, Texas.
    "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

    Comment


    • #3
      https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...75171334795265

      Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal Sources: Prince Fielder’s career appears over. #Rangers expected to hold press conference tomorrow
      "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

      Comment


      • #4
        http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ifts/88960724/

        Rob Manfred: MLB considering pitch clock, limiting relievers, shifts

        HOUSTON - Major League Baseball, alarmed by the game’s lack of action this season is considering making the most radical changes to the game in more than a century.

        The owners spent time Thursday discussing and reviewing how the game has changed over the years, with offenses suffocated by a record number of shifts and pitching changes, leading to longer games and less production.

        Commissioner Rob Manfred said that baseball will consider limiting the number of pitching changes in the future, as well as curtailing the amount of shifts, and even implementing a 20-second time clock for pitchers to deliver a pitch.

        “Our view of the pitch clock is that we feel it’s been effective in the minor leagues,’’ Manfred said, “we really do. I think when you look at our experience with the effort we undertook last year, and you look month-by-month in terms of where we were in terms of game time, we did really well early and kind of regressed the second half of last year, and certainly this year.
        "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think they should leave the game alone. I really dislike limiting pitching changes.
          "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

          Comment


          • #6
            Sorry TK, I'm rooting for the Cubs! What's it been, a 100 years?
            "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tjay View Post
              Sorry TK, I'm rooting for the Cubs! What's it been, a 100 years?
              I have been very afraid of the Cubs. The Cubs were my team!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then the Expos came in 1969. Wasn't until around 74 I finally changed over to Expos. Then when the Expos were robbed of their World series in the 80's I stopped watching ball for quite some time. Around 90 I came back and started cheering for the Jays ever since.

              I love the Cubs but just not this year! But if they do I will be ok with that
              THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TK27 View Post

                I have been very afraid of the Cubs. The Cubs were my team!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then the Expos came in 1969. Wasn't until around 74 I finally changed over to Expos. Then when the Expos were robbed of their World series in the 80's I stopped watching ball for quite some time. Around 90 I came back and started cheering for the Jays ever since.

                I love the Cubs but just not this year! But if they do I will be ok with that
                I gave up on Baseball for the same reasons, the strike cost Don Mattingly a shot in the post season. The following season, when the owners threaten to open the season with scrub players, it really pissed me off that Cal Ripken said he would play with them even though the Player's Union gave him permission to keep his streak going. It took 10 years for baseball to get me back but I'm not nearly the avid fan I use to be.
                "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tjay View Post

                  I gave up on Baseball for the same reasons, the strike cost Don Mattingly a shot in the post season. The following season, when the owners threaten to open the season with scrub players, it really pissed me off that Cal Ripken said he would play with them even though the Player's Union gave him permission to keep his streak going. It took 10 years for baseball to get me back but I'm not nearly the avid fan I use to be.
                  Yep Expos and Yankees were on a collision course that year. I really believe the Expos would have won they were the best team in baseball that year. Odd I punished baseball by not watching it but have never done that to hockey.

                  However hockey has also not went on a strike at the end of the season either. I really believe baseball died in Montreal because of that. I'm hoping one day they get a team back since it has faded in most fans memories now either that or weren't even around at that time.
                  THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TK27 View Post

                    Yep Expos and Yankees were on a collision course that year. I really believe the Expos would have won they were the best team in baseball that year. Odd I punished baseball by not watching it but have never done that to hockey.

                    However hockey has also not went on a strike at the end of the season either. I really believe baseball died in Montreal because of that. I'm hoping one day they get a team back since it has faded in most fans memories now either that or weren't even around at that time.
                    That's what the key was for me, baseball players did it at the end and killed the season. Hockey took care of business at the start so the rug was never pulled out from under us.
                    "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Congrats to the Cubs! Can Steven Bartman come out of hiding now?

                      "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yes indeed so happy for my boyhood team to finally win one. Glenn Beckert my favorite player should be happy now
                        THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mw147 View Post
                          Congrats to the Cubs! Can Steven Bartman come out of hiding now?
                          He should throw out the first pitch to start next season. I'm sure the fans at Wrigley would give him a huge ovation. I think it would show that all is forgiven. Terrible what happened, but I do admit, I don't think a Yankee fan would have done that.
                          "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...ame-1.12979028

                            Tim Raines, Jeff Bagwell, Ivan Rodriguez elected into Baseball Hall of Fame

                            The Hall of Fame opened its doors Wednesday for former Astros first baseman Jeff Bagwell, former Expos and Yankees outfielder Tim Raines and 14-time All-Star catcher Ivan Rodriguez.

                            Bagwell, in his seventh year, got 86.2 percent of the vote. Raines, in his 10th and final year of eligibility, received 86.0 percent. Rodriguez, in his first year, received 76.0 percent.

                            Candidates need 75 percent of the vote from the eligible members of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America. There were 442 ballots submitted, including two blank ones. A candidate needed 332 votes to be elected.
                            THE VOTING

                            442 votes cast, 332 needed (percentage in parentheses)

                            Jeff Bagwell 381 (86.2)

                            x-Tim Raines 380 (86.0)

                            Ivan Rodriguez 336 (76.0)

                            Trevor Hoffman 327 (74.0)

                            Vladimir Guerrero 317 (71.7)

                            Edgar Martinez 259 (58.6)

                            Roger Clemens 239 (54.1)

                            Barry Bonds 238 (53.8)

                            Mike Mussina 229 (51.8)

                            Curt Schilling 199 (45.0)

                            x-Lee Smith 151 (34.2)

                            Manny Ramirez 105 (23.8)

                            Larry Walker 97 (21.9)

                            Fred McGriff 96 (21.7)

                            Jeff Kent 74 (16.7)

                            Gary Sheffield 59 (13.3)

                            Billy Wagner 45 (10.2)

                            Sammy Sosa 38 (8.6)

                            By receiving fewer than 23 votes (less than 5 percent) these players are no longer eligible for election:

                            Jorge Posada 17 (3.8)

                            Magglio Ordoñez 3 (0.7)

                            Edgar Renteria 2 (0.5)

                            Jason Varitek 2 (0.5)

                            Tim Wakefield 1 (0.2)

                            Casey Blake, Pat Burrell, Orlando Cabrera, Mike Cameron, J.D. Drew, Carlos Guillen, Derrek Lee, Melvin Mora, Arthur Rhodes, Freddy Sanchez and Matt Stairs received zero votes.
                            "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Watched Raines his whole career. Was one of my favs. Great news!
                              THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X