This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dom View Post
    I think we should start coming to terms with our newfound lot in life, and not continue fooling ourselves.

The playoffs are a bit of a longshot now, and with a new building being 3 years away (if everything goes well), I don't see JT signing up for that.

Therefore, I would look to move him at this trade deadline. My target right now would be Columbus.

Take back center Pierre-Luc Dubois, winger Sonny Milano, plus a 1st rd pick in this year's draft, and a 2nd rd pick in next year's draft.

Trade Bailey somewhere for a 1st plus a decent prospect.

Trade Nelson and Pullock for the best package you can get. Hopefully, a young top 4 D man.

Spend this offseason rebuilding the defense and goaltending, and draft as many high end prospects as possible with the remaining 1st rd picks, and hope you have a top notch (and perhaps more importantly, CHEAP) young team for the new building in Belmont.
    If JT does not sign by the deadline, most of this definitely should be in play.

For the record, I agree on JT - I think he is as good as gone.
    The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly. Give him until 1 week before the trade deadline.

Unfortunately, I doubt the Isles will do that. I think they're content to let the entire season go by, and if he walks in the offseason, they'll try to put it on him. Bad idea in my opinion.
      Not only is it a bad idea, it is suicide. The 1 week prior deadline makes perfect sense.

Garth Snow should NOT make the trade.
      The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

Comment

The towel has already been thrown!
        I’m picking the towel up damn it!

Comment

• Originally posted by mw147 View Post
          https://www.nhl.com/news/anthony-duc...?tid=278542340

I don't see Duclair filling one of our needs, but this shows us that trades can me made in January. Time to wake up, Garth!!
          He only wakes up for cheeseburgers.

Comment

https://www.nhl.com/news/anthony-duc...?tid=278542340

I don't see Duclair filling one of our needs, but this shows us that trades can me made in January. Time to wake up, Garth!!

I don't know, our bottom 6 is a mess. He could replace any of the 4 wingers. But I would take anyone over what is there. Cizikas is the only one worth anything.
            Josh Bailey, 2020 Conn Smythe trophy winner.

#bloodoath
            #secondaryassitsmatter

Comment

• Originally posted by Bossy573 View Post

Not only is it a bad idea, it is suicide. The 1 week prior deadline makes perfect sense.

Garth Snow should NOT make the trade.
              Problem is I don't want Garth making any trades & his history of top 5 top draft choices leave a lot to be desired . We need a different person doing a re-build if thats what we are going to attempt. How many attempts are going to have to go thru with the GM in Training.

Comment

Of course the team knows more than we do about where the situation stands. But knowing what I know, if I were in L&M's shoes I would tell JT's agent that we need a decision no later than 1 week before the trade deadline. At that point he needs to sign or we need to trade him. Keeping him then having him walk is not acceptable, unless we are at that point firmly in a playoff spot and feeling good about making a run in the playoffs. That will greatly complicate the situation. Then I am very torn about which way to go. But unless they already know now that he will not be signing, I would not trade him (or Bailey) now.
                I would say if his answer was anything other than I'm leaning towards leaving then I ride it to the end. Even if it is 50/50 you have too. Everyone thought Tampa was crazy not to trade Stamkos and they were laughing with just days left and then he goes and signs. I'm afraid we have to do the same.
                THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bossy573 View Post

If JT does not sign by the deadline, most of this definitely should be in play.

For the record, I agree on JT - I think he is as good as gone.
                  Like I said if he said 60/40 I'm thinking about leaving then I might do something.

Comment

• Originally posted by TK27 View Post

I would say if his answer was anything other than I'm leaning towards leaving then I ride it to the end. Even if it is 50/50 you have too. Everyone thought Tampa was crazy not to trade Stamkos and they were laughing with just days left and then he goes and signs. I'm afraid we have to do the same.
                    I agree that you have to ride it out unless he indicates that he is probably leaving.

And I hope that JT has enough respect for his time with the team that he will tell L&M what his thoughts are before the trade deadline. I think he probably does.
                    “Individual players win games, but teams win championships"

Comment

I agree that you have to ride it out unless he indicates that he is probably leaving.

And I hope that JT has enough respect for his time with the team that he will tell L&M what his thoughts are before the trade deadline. I think he probably does.
                      I actually DON'T think he would be that honest. The only way I think he'll say anything is if we're totally out of the the playoff hunt, then he might say something because he'll want to build up his value on a playoff team. Even then, I doubt it.

Otherwise, I think he'd be quiet, because moving mid season is a hassle he'd rather avoid.

Comment

• https://thecanuckway.com/2018/01/12/...son-islanders/

Vancouver Canucks should trade Erik Gudbranson to the Islanders

With an Erik Gudbranson trade seemingly inevitable, the Vancouver Canucks should trade the 6-foot-5 defenceman to the New York Islanders.

The Vancouver Canucks should trade defenceman Erik Gudbranson to the New York Islanders by the trade deadline. My guess? He will fetch a second-round pick to boot.

The Islanders have the picks and the Canucks have the defensive leader that John Tavares can rely on in the playoffs.

Gudbranson is one of the most talked about defencemen on the active trade market in the National Hockey League, and talks will heat up as more and more teams figure out if they have a shot at the playoffs. So why the Islanders?

The Islanders are one of the teams that is in the battle for one of the final eastern conference playoff spots. The Islanders are also one of the teams that possesses multiple second-round picks in the upcoming 2019 NHL entry draft. They also control a conditional second-round pick that depends on if the Calgary Flames make the playoffs this year.
                        Self serving talk from Vancouver, but you know what? With Boychuk still out, I would trade a 2nd for him. It might help to steady the ship a bit.

Comment

https://thecanuckway.com/2018/01/12/...son-islanders/

Self serving talk from Vancouver, but you know what? With Boychuk still out, I would trade a 2nd for him. It might help to steady the ship a bit.
                          I've read that he's slow, and I think we have a cheaper version of him already in Mayfield.

I think we should set our sights on someone a lot better than that.

Comment

I've read that he's slow, and I think we have a cheaper version of him already in Mayfield.

I think we should set our sights on someone a lot better than that.
                            Maybe, but someone better will also cost more. If he can be had for a 2nd I would go for it now, then re-assess at the deadline.

Comment

• I haven’t seen much of him since the trade out of Florida, but he had the skills you need. I’m curious about this move if it’s pissible.

Comment

https://thecanuckway.com/2018/01/12/...son-islanders/

This is one player I haven't watched enough to have an opinion on. I know I wanted to draft him

Comment

Working...
                                X