Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belmont - future home of the New York Islanders

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Bossy573 View Post

    Small price to pay if it is meant to keep the locals happy.
    I have a feeling that they say this now, but will probably permit it or look the other way when the time comes.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by gazaroog View Post

      I have a feeling that they say this now, but will probably permit it or look the other way when the time comes.
      Definite possibility.
      The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

      Comment


      • Doesn't the Coliseum have a no tailgating rule too? And every other arena?

        I stand corrected ... Every other arena in the area has tailgating policies. The Coliseum does not however.
        Last edited by TonyD; 1 week ago.

        Comment


        • Among the demands that Queens officials have been making in return for their approval of a hockey arena and hotel at Belmont Park was a full-service, two-direction Long Island Rail Road station to help alleviate the traffic impact on the Cross Island Parkway and neighborhoods in Eastern Queens.Gov. Cuomo announced on Monday that they are getting one.

          Comment


          • A new Elmont station on the LIRR Main Line is a key addition to expansion plans at the park

            Comment


            • The completion of the final environmental impact statement for the proposed Belmont Park arena and the announcement of a new train station have moved the $1.3

              Comment


              • https://libn.com/2019/07/11/new-lirr...nt-arena-plan/

                'Meanwhile, the arena project isn’t the only new development in store for the 113-year-old horse racing property. The New York Racing Authority is currently working on a plan for an extensive makeover of Belmont, which could include the addition of night racing, more open spaces for group events, new food and beverage options and a major overhaul of the grandstand, which was built in the 1960s and is the largest of any horse racing facility in the country. It’s also possible that NYRA could move its winter racing from Aqueduct to Belmont, which would eliminate horse racing from the Queens track.

                But according to the FEIS, the NYRA improvements “are not anticipated to result in increased levels of attendance” to the Belmont property. Though the arena developers and NYRA have agreed to not schedule night racing on the same evening as a hockey game, they’ve decided that night racing and non-hockey arena events could be scheduled on the same evening as long as the “aggregate attendance for both events” does not exceed 18,000, according to the FEIS.

                To fuel all of that, the arena developers had planned to use natural gas. However, National Grid has said it won’t be able to supply natural gas to large projects like Belmont, since its hoped-for expansion of the Williams Transco pipeline was rejected by the state Department of Environmental Conservation in May.

                In the absence of natural gas, developers are instead considering the use of propane, electricity, or a combination of both. If propane is used, it would be stored in two 30,000-gallon underground tanks located on the south side of the proposed arena near Red Road, according to ESD documents.

                Ted Horishny, assistant chief fire marshal for Nassau County, said the use of propane shouldn’t cause alarm.


                “It has to be installed in accordance with the building and fire code,” Horishny told LIBN. “There will be oversight. There will be a lot of eyes on the equipment and building as it goes up.”....'

                Comment


                • New York Islanders fans, concertgoers and shoppers would continue to rely on cars, buses and Jamaica-station-only trains to access the proposed arena at Belmont before Long Island’s first, full-time t

                  Comment


                  • Bringing the New York Islanders back to Nassau County is almost a done deal, but the $1.26 billion redevelopment of the Belmont Park area didn't come together without a lot of give-and-take, records s

                    Comment


                    • https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ers-1.33765823

                      By Candice Ferrettecandice.ferrette@newsday.com @candiceferretteUpdated July 13, 2019 6:00 AM

                      The announcement Monday of the $105 million Elmont train station on the Long Island Rail Road’s Main Line was critical in the traffic plan for the 19,000-seat arena, 250-bed hotel and 350,000 square feet of retail space...

                      While there has been discussion about the station since at least April, the LIRR has not done a feasibility study of full-time service to Belmont Park, MTA officials said. The station is pending the approval of the MTA Board...

                      Taken together, these measures would reduce traffic from 83 percent for a sold-out arena event to 48 percent. During the weekday evening peak hour, it would reduce the number of cars on the Cross Island Parkway from 13,300 to 10,800 in both directions, Shatz said.

                      The part-time station at Belmont, used on Belmont Stakes day, would bring patrons to the arena for games in the first two Islanders seasons, in addition to a shuttle bus from another station on the Main Line, MTA officials said. About 24-30 percent of patrons to the new development would take the LIRR, according to the environmental impact document...

                      Comment


                      • While there has been discussion about the station since at least April, the LIRR has not done a feasibility study of full-time service to Belmont Park, MTA officials said. The station is pending the approval of the MTA Board.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by gear316 View Post
                          https://libn.com/2019/07/11/new-lirr...nt-arena-plan/

                          'Meanwhile, the arena project isn’t the only new development in store for the 113-year-old horse racing property. The New York Racing Authority is currently working on a plan for an extensive makeover of Belmont, which could include the addition of night racing, more open spaces for group events, new food and beverage options and a major overhaul of the grandstand, which was built in the 1960s and is the largest of any horse racing facility in the country. It’s also possible that NYRA could move its winter racing from Aqueduct to Belmont, which would eliminate horse racing from the Queens track.

                          But according to the FEIS, the NYRA improvements “are not anticipated to result in increased levels of attendance” to the Belmont property. Though the arena developers and NYRA have agreed to not schedule night racing on the same evening as a hockey game, they’ve decided that night racing and non-hockey arena events could be scheduled on the same evening as long as the “aggregate attendance for both events” does not exceed 18,000, according to the FEIS.

                          To fuel all of that, the arena developers had planned to use natural gas. However, National Grid has said it won’t be able to supply natural gas to large projects like Belmont, since its hoped-for expansion of the Williams Transco pipeline was rejected by the state Department of Environmental Conservation in May.

                          In the absence of natural gas, developers are instead considering the use of propane, electricity, or a combination of both. If propane is used, it would be stored in two 30,000-gallon underground tanks located on the south side of the proposed arena near Red Road, according to ESD documents.

                          Ted Horishny, assistant chief fire marshal for Nassau County, said the use of propane shouldn’t cause alarm.


                          “It has to be installed in accordance with the building and fire code,” Horishny told LIBN. “There will be oversight. There will be a lot of eyes on the equipment and building as it goes up.”....'
                          I am not sure if it's responsible to build a rink above 2 jumbo propane tanks. NYAP should have put Belmont on hold after Williams Transco pipeline got rejected by NYS.

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Belmont Park Layout 6.6.2019.png
Views:	26
Size:	797.5 KB
ID:	131352Click image for larger version

Name:	Belmont Park Arena project plan 6.25.2019.png
Views:	28
Size:	986.9 KB
ID:	131353

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by gear316 View Post

                            I am not sure if it's responsible to build a rink above 2 jumbo propane tanks. NYAP should have put Belmont on hold after Williams Transco pipeline got rejected by NYS.

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Belmont Park Layout 6.6.2019.png
Views:	26
Size:	797.5 KB
ID:	131352Click image for larger version

Name:	Belmont Park Arena project plan 6.25.2019.png
Views:	28
Size:	986.9 KB
ID:	131353
                            There is nothing to fear Gear. With the regulations we have in our gruesome bureaucracy we live in, rest assured it will be safe.

                            Comment


                            • The Floral Park Board of Trustees urged residents to submit online comments about the impact of the proposed Belmont redevelopment project and said it is reviewing its legal options. “There are options for us. We are exploring those options. We have not made any decisions on what legal options we are going to move towards …

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by gazaroog View Post

                                There is nothing to fear Gear. With the regulations we have in our gruesome bureaucracy we live in, rest assured it will be safe.
                                Recently I have been discussing with my mother and a local guy named George S, who was an Isles fan during the 80s Stanley Cup run and emphasizes Isles should play in Nassau, on which option would be more expensive and/or safer. While I feel Belmont may be a ticking time bomb along to George S, my mother thinks an ice rink next to Citi Field on a flood plain could actually be more problematic due to flood possibly seeping into the building. An NHL rink in Flushing Meadows may be more expensive to build and maintain, which may have scared the Isles off.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X