On Ice Product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Ice Product

Right now the team is 2nd to last in the division (Rangers being only team below them). In the last several games, the Islanders defense and goaltending have been keeping the opponents to 2 goals per game. To me, that's a team doing their job in that department.

The problem is putting the puck in the net, which is attributed to, in order:

1. Tavares not playing well.
    2. The PP not producing at all (you should be scoring a PP goal at minimum, once every other game). 0 goals in this department
    3. Lack of a true 2nd line center

This is fixable.

Tavares is a slumpy player. He needs to wake up. The PP should get a boost with Pulock on it. It will stretch out the PK box of the opposition because they are going to have to respect his shot. This will open up more passing lanes. However, they still do need to work on forwards doing a better job opening up passing lanes regardless. This will improve though you would think.

The last part is where Snow has to step it up.

If you improve this offense with the 3 things above, this team will have a good season. They are in these games and playing well, but you improve your chances immensely if you can address these areas.

I think we need an impact player on defense more than offense. I think Barzal grows into the 2nd line center so i would look to get a physical 3rd line center that can win faceoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
      I think we need an impact player on defense more than offense. I think Barzal grows into the 2nd line center so i would look to get a physical 3rd line center that can win faceoffs.
      Other than some help on the PP, I really think our defense is fine. Hopefully Pulock fills the void there.

The problem I have with the Barzal transition is just that. It's a transition. It may not address things quick enough.

Comment

So are we really going to judge in 6 game increments now? Most coaches like to judge in 10 game segments. At this early stage with alot of new moving parts, I prefer to give it more than 6 games before making any assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by CUPNOW View Post
          So are we really going to judge in 6 game increments now? Most coaches like to judge in 10 game segments. At this early stage with alot of new moving parts, I prefer to give it more than 6 games before making any assessment.
          My assessment hasn't changed since the offseason. We need another impact forward.

Comment

Originally posted by gazaroog View Post

My assessment hasn't changed since the offseason. We need another impact forward.
            Again, you may be right and you may be wrong. It is too soon, in my opinion, to make that assessment yet based on the 1st 6 games.

Comment

I agree you can't predict the season's results by the few games we have played. That said - my thoughts remain same as of now.

If I could pluck one player off another roster besides McDavid - In terms of how it would help a JT led Isles ( which of course - is not written in stone) Drew Doughty. we need a guy like that. If I could pick a past player of the Isles and re-introduce him in his prime - Denis Potvin.

We don't have that dynamic. HARD TO FIND these players. Shea Weber/PK Subban/Brent Burns types. Of course Erik Karlsson may be the best of the lot.....

I wonder if JT's contract uncertainty is impacting him?

time will tell

Comment

Originally posted by CUPNOW View Post
                My assessment right now is that the PP sucked for 82 games last year and 6 this year. That is a total of 88. Almost 9 ten game increments.
                THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

Right now the team is 2nd to last in the division (Rangers being only team below them). In the last several games, the Islanders defense and goaltending have been keeping the opponents to 2 goals per game. To me, that's a team doing their job in that department.

The problem is putting the puck in the net, which is attributed to, in order:

1. Tavares not playing well.
                  2. The PP not producing at all (you should be scoring a PP goal at minimum, once every other game). 0 goals in this department
                  3. Lack of a true 2nd line center

This is fixable.

Tavares is a slumpy player. He needs to wake up. The PP should get a boost with Pulock on it. It will stretch out the PK box of the opposition because they are going to have to respect his shot. This will open up more passing lanes. However, they still do need to work on forwards doing a better job opening up passing lanes regardless. This will improve though you would think.

The last part is where Snow has to step it up.

If you improve this offense with the 3 things above, this team will have a good season. They are in these games and playing well, but you improve your chances immensely if you can address these areas.
                  I see number 3 as being the least of the problems. I don't even really think that is hurting us right now. As for the first 2 well..............................

Comment

Is there ever a time a team doesn't need this? Even if we get one in another 2 months we will probably be saying we need another one!

Comment

Originally posted by TK27 View Post

My assessment right now is that the PP sucked for 82 games last year and 6 this year. That is a total of 88. Almost 9 ten game increments.
                      This is the core issue. Impossible to win in the NHL when your PP is absolute garbage.

The Isles may not have the most talent in the NHL, but they have enough offensive talent to do some damage. This is on the coaching staff.
                      The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

Comment

Wasn't sure where to put this: from the Islanders twitter page.
                        #Isles game with your friends @Honda Club acces Amazing food Enter here for a chance to win a group outing→http://bit.ly/2xRUeu
                        It was easy, just a matter of putting in your name, #, and email address. If I'm lucky I'll be going with all of you.
                        "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

Comment

Originally posted by Tjay View Post
                          Wasn't sure where to put this: from the Islanders twitter page.
                          It was easy, just a matter of putting in your name, #, and email address. If I'm lucky I'll be going with all of you.
                          If you have Honda club access can you sit in the SUV?

Comment

Originally posted by TK27 View Post

If you have Honda club access can you sit in the SUV?
                            I hope I find out.
                            "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

Comment

Islanders win and Oilers and Ducks win in regulation, would put the Islanders 2nd in the division.

Comment

Working...
                              X