Training Camp 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Prince is out for a while, right? About 6 months? So he isn't a factor. Quine will be back relatively soon though, could be very interesting. Quine is a good 13th forward option, obviously doesn't make sense to have any of the kids or mid-level vets in that spot. Something has to give.
    I think you're right that Prince is out 4-6 months from August. Quine might be back next week, but I think mid to late October is more likely. However, I was talking about the game roster and not the 23 man team roster. After tonight's game, it seems even more likely Barzal should be in the line-up to open the season.

I really hope it happens because I plan to wear my game-worn (albeit very lightly used) Barzal jersey from last season at the home opener.

Comment

Beauvillier is going to find himself in Bridgeport. Just a prediction.

Comment

Originally posted by FranzyFan View Post

I think you're right that Prince is out 4-6 months from August. Quine might be back next week, but I think mid to late October is more likely. However, I was talking about the game roster and not the 23 man team roster. After tonight's game, it seems even more likely Barzal should be in the line-up to open the season.

I really hope it happens because I plan to wear my game-worn (albeit very lightly used) Barzal jersey from last season at the home opener.
        Whoa, you outbid Barry for the Barzal?
        “Individual players win games, but teams win championships"

Comment

Originally posted by gazaroog View Post
          That would be a hard pill to swallow
          THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

Originally posted by mw147 View Post

Whoa, you outbid Barry for the Barzal?
            Yep, I did!

I doubt he even bid on it for the price I paid. Although he only wore it one regular season game, so maybe Barry didn't value it highly..

BTW, unless I am missing something we have a 2nd and 3rd emoji but no 1st and no Stanley Cup. I think that needs to be fixed.

Comment

I can see that as well. Barzal is the key kid forward, much more so than even JHS in my opinion. So as long as MB is here producing, I'm OK with Beauvillier going down. If Barzal and JHS show some consistency, Snow should be on the phone shopping guys like Chumera and Bailey by Christmas, opening a spot for Beauvillier's return. Key word is SHOULD.

Also, with Barzal as 2C I would like to see a vet 3C acquired. Sticking that guy between Nelson and Bailey/HoSang on line 3 wouldn't be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by FranzyFan View Post

Yep, I did!

I doubt he even bid on it for the price I paid. Although he only wore it one regular season game, so maybe Barry didn't value it highly..

BTW, unless I am missing something we have a 2nd and 3rd emoji but no 1st and no Stanley Cup. I think that needs to be fixed.

Comment

Maybe but I bet it doesn't last long. We will go further than 12 or even 13 forwards, unless the new boss is the same as the old boss then Beau will be here over Gionta and Bernier. I'm not counting on Prince at all, and adding back Quine makes 14 forwards, assuming no one else is hurt. Which rarely lasts long.

Comment

I can see that as well. Barzal is the key kid forward, much more so than even JHS in my opinion. So as long as MB is here producing, I'm OK with Beauvillier going down. If Barzal and JHS show some consistency, Snow should be on the phone shopping guys like Chumera and Bailey by Christmas, opening a spot for Beauvillier's return. Key word is SHOULD.

Also, with Barzal as 2C I would like to see a vet 3C acquired. Sticking that guy between Nelson and Bailey/HoSang on line 3 wouldn't be bad.
                    Bailey should go today, some team must need a veteran forward in a contract year on a reasonable salary. I will take back a 2nd round pick right now.

Comment

Maybe but I bet it doesn't last long. We will go further than 12 or even 13 forwards, unless the new boss is the same as the old boss then Beau will be here over Gionta and Bernier. I'm not counting on Prince at all, and adding back Quine makes 14 forwards, assuming no one else is hurt. Which rarely lasts long.

All of Pelech, Pulock and Mayfield will be making the team (not waiver eligible). That's 2 extra guys you need to keep on your roster which only gives you 1 spot for an extra forward. Beauvillier is waiver eligible. Once Quine becomes healthy, I see Beau being sent down.

Comment

All of Pelech, Pulock and Mayfield will be making the team (not waiver eligible). That's 2 extra guys you need to keep on your roster which only gives you 1 spot for an extra forward. Beauvillier is waiver eligible. Once Quine becomes healthy, I see Beau being sent down.
                        Until someone else gets hurt, which normally doesn't take long.

Comment

Bailey should go today, some team must need a veteran forward in a contract year on a reasonable salary. I will take back a 2nd round pick right now.
                          I might agree with you, but at this point, I'm not crazy about getting rid of the depth up front for just a pick. I think the smart move would be to let him play out his contract, and let him walk in the off season.

At this point, I think we should be mostly ok up front. What I think we could use, is a big bodied, faceoff winning 3rd line center. Forget Duchene, too costly. I'm thinking someone will become available by the trade deadline for much cheaper.

I'm afraid our real issue is Pullock. He still seems a bit timid. Hopefully, Luke Richardson can work some magic with him, but otherwise, we're going to need to add a high end D man to this group in order to really make a long playoff run.

But our depth right now at all positions is probably the best it's ever been over the past 25 years.

Comment

That depends on what the lineup looks like. I would rather have Gionta in the press box for 4 or 5 games at a stretch than Beau. I would prefer him playing every night at B'port
                            Josh Bailey, 2020 Conn Smythe trophy winner.

#bloodoath
                            #secondaryassitsmatter

Comment

I think we have good depth in terms of numbers but not talent. Need to turn 2 or 3 of these middle 6 forwards into a more impact guy. Even if it is "only" a big faceoff winning 3C, that would fill a need and make more of an impact than the likes of Bailey, Chimera and even Nelson.

Forget which preview it was, but the writer said the Isles look like a bunch of players, not a team. I agree.

Comment

I think we have good depth in terms of numbers but not talent. Need to turn 2 or 3 of these middle 6 forwards into a more impact guy. Even if it is "only" a big faceoff winning 3C, that would fill a need and make more of an impact than the likes of Bailey, Chimera and even Nelson.

Forget which preview it was, but the writer said the Isles look like a bunch of players, not a team. I agree.
                                I sorta agree, but I think we're in pretty good shape overall. At least, we should be assuming the kids are the real deal.

But in order to go a long playoff run, I do think we're going to have to add that big 3rd line C who wins faceoffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X