X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TonyD
    replied
    Originally posted by FranzyFan View Post

There were plenty of awful things about the Cappy era, but this really takes the cake. How do you expect players to get better without feedback? Now I am positive Strome's decline was solely due to Cappy and not himself.
    Oh.. Cappy singlehandedly destroyed Strome. But he's young enough were it's probably repairable. I completely expect Strome to have a good year in Edmonton, sadly enough BUT good for him.
    Last edited by TonyD; 09-22-2017, 09:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FranzyFan
    replied
    Originally posted by mw147 View Post
    Some interesting observations

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ampaign=buffer

When I talked to him yesterday he stressed how much he loves hearing feedback from the new coaching staff that Doug Weight has assembled and I think he wasn’t getting that same feedback the last two camps with Jack Capuano in charge.

There were plenty of awful things about the Cappy era, but this really takes the cake. How do you expect players to get better without feedback? Now I am positive Strome's decline was solely due to Cappy and not himself.

Leave a comment:

• mw147
    replied
    Some interesting observations

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ampaign=buffer

I see it as huge that Barzal is standing out. If he lives up to the hype it will be huge for the team, and lessen the need to bring in a #2 center from the outside.

And of course I love reading about Devon Toews, Let's Go Bobcat!

Islanders mailbag: Prospects, roster scenarios, Brock Nelson, more

Newsday’s Arthur Staple answered questions from Twitter followers for his latest Islanders mailbag Thursday as the Isles continue their preseason schedule.

Here are a few answers for this week:

@Nick_Giordano: Hey Arthur who’s been your favorite prospect to watch and who do you think are going to make the opening night roster?

Hard to argue with Mathew Barzal, who looks very determined to not leave anything to chance this time around. When I talked to him yesterday he stressed how much he loves hearing feedback from the new coaching staff that Doug Weight has assembled and I think he wasn’t getting that same feedback the last two camps with Jack Capuano in charge.

Devon Toews, who will be discussed at greater length down below, is just a smart, smart player. His ability to play up to the AHL level in his first pro year last season may have surprised some, but it’s clear he’s got the right tools to be a solid NHL defenseman. I doubt he’ll make the opening-night roster — again, more on this below — but you will see him in an Islander uniform this season.
    And Dougie implementing changes is always a reason for hope

@Harry4naris: Any sense of tactical changes yet? Seemed to be more neutral zone passing for entries at the coli game instead of stretch passes

Weight spoke about some defensive-zone changes they’ve been implementing, wanting what he called “a few less red-zone shots.” He’s had his defensemen doing a lot of net-front physical work, trying to get clearer sight lines for the goaltenders. Weight also wants his forwards to be more aggressive at the points in preventing shots getting through.

And the changes he started to install last season, with the center swinging low in the defensive zone to not only help below the hash marks but get the transition game moving with speed, have been kept. “I don’t know if you call it more offensive, more attacking, but that’s how we want to play,” Weight said the other day.
    I don't have much faith that Garth will do the right think, we will see.

@andersIee: Isles traded a core player for draft picks. Do you think they will put the picks back into the team now with a trade?

I imagine the hope is to be sitting comfortably in a playoff spot with the Flames struggling mightily at the trade deadline so that the Isles can deal their own first-rounder for immediate help and still have a lottery ticket.

That’s the dream scenario. But even short of that, there are ready assets to deal that would bring back something useful. Unless the Isles are dead in the water by midseason, I think they will deal one of those picks for help this season.
    There is more here, it's worth a read.

Leave a comment:

• mw147
    replied
    https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/s...ot/c-291224104

Split-Squad Recap: Flyers 3, Isles 2 OT

Lee, Barzal each score in preseason loss at PPL Center

Anders Lee forced overtime in the final 24 seconds of regulation in Wednesday's split-squad exhibition game in Allentown, Penn., but the New York Islanders fell to the Philadelphia Flyers, 3-2, at PPL Center.

Mathew Barzal also found the back of the net for the second time this preseason, scoring a power-play goal less than two minutes into the first period. On the flip side, Shayne Gostisbehere logged the game-winner 53 seconds into the extra session.

Power-play opportunities accounted for all three of the four tallies in regulation including two in the middle frame for Flyers forward Taylor Leier. Between the pipes, Christopher Gibson played all three periods for the Islanders and finished the night with 27 saves.

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/s...ot/c-291224104

Split-Squad Recap: Isles 3, Flyers 2

Defenseman Devon Toews plays forward as Islanders beat Flyers at Barclays Center

The New York Islanders went 1-0-1 in split-squad action on Wednesday night, skating to a 3-2 win over the Philadelphia Flyers at Barclays Center, while dropping a 3-2 OT decision at PPL Center in Allentown, PA.

Andrew Ladd's power-play goal held up as the game-winner in Brooklyn, tapping in a Jordan Eberlerebound with 2:50 to play. That made it 3-1 and while T.J. Brennan cut the deficit with 1:06 to play, the Islanders held on for the win.

Devon Toews and Johnny Boychuk also scored for the Islanders, while Travis Konecny rounded out the scoresheet in Brooklyn.

Leave a comment:

• mw147
    replied
    https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday

Both #Isles squads for games in Barclays/Lehigh Valley on ice this AM. No Tavares on either rink. Appears he's not playing tonight.
    Clutterbuck, Cizikas, Hickey also not on ice this AM. Tavares and those 3 had maintenance days Tuesday.
    Feels like more than a maintenance day. All 4 probably dinged up. Hopefully nothing serious.

Looks as though Halak and Gibson are goalies for Brooklyn, Greiss/Gudlevskis for Lehigh Valley.
    Apologies, Halak/Gibson going to LV and Greiss/Gudlevskis in BK.
    Tavares, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, Hickey, Burroughs on ice after #Isles skate.

Leave a comment:

• mw147
    replied
    This is a split squad, 2 games. If I see anything about a telecast of the other game I'll post it.

https://twitter.com/todougherty/stat...98971180822528

For those interested: Tonight's #Flyers-#Islanders game in Allentown is on TCN and will be streaming on https://t.co/az2gfz6Sas.

Leave a comment:

• TonyD
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott View Post
    Looks like some serious foreshadowing with those forward lines. Can easily see the 4 vet combos being on the ice opening night although Chimera will likely be, and rightfully so, in there somewhere, with a kid in Bridgeport. Or, kid goes to Brdgeport when Quine returns, Chimera/Kulemin share 13th forward spot until then.
    Ho-Sang should be on that 2nd line right winger... and agree with Chimera

Leave a comment:

• TK27
    replied

I agree, all goes well in terms of kids stepping up and guys being healthy, Bailey should be the odd man out. But, Barzal will have Ladd on his LW as a finisher, too, so I wouldn't get too crazy about Bailey on RW. Also, lines will change, possibly as soon as the 2nd period of the 1st game. The other factor is Barzal himself shooting more. He has the talent to net 20+ if he gets more aggressive.
    I know Barzal is a pass first kind of player. I have seen that with my own eyes. However I found it interesting when he hit the big stage at the WJC's for team Canada. He led the team in shots..........go figure?

Leave a comment:

• TK27
    replied
    Originally posted by Tjay View Post

I like the 4 vet combo, but I'd replace Bailey with Chimera. I haven't seen Barzal play, but by looking at his stats, goals vs assists, he comes off as the type of player who likes to set up his wingers and what's the point in setting up Bailey?
    LOL both mine and Tjays go to lines are...................... I like that but I would replace Bailey lol

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Originally posted by Tjay View Post

I like the 4 vet combo, but I'd replace Bailey with Chimera. I haven't seen Barzal play, but by looking at his stats, goals vs assists, he comes off as the type of player who likes to set up his wingers and what's the point in setting up Bailey?
    I agree, all goes well in terms of kids stepping up and guys being healthy, Bailey should be the odd man out. But, Barzal will have Ladd on his LW as a finisher, too, so I wouldn't get too crazy about Bailey on RW. Also, lines will change, possibly as soon as the 2nd period of the 1st game. The other factor is Barzal himself shooting more. He has the talent to net 20+ if he gets more aggressive.

Leave a comment:

• Tjay
    replied
    Looks like some serious foreshadowing with those forward lines. Can easily see the 4 vet combos being on the ice opening night although Chimera will likely be, and rightfully so, in there somewhere, with a kid in Bridgeport. Or, kid goes to Brdgeport when Quine returns, Chimera/Kulemin share 13th forward spot until then.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Last edited by Scott; 09-16-2017, 08:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mw147
    replied
    https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...28625133948930

#Isles group two D pairs: Toews-Boychuk de Haan-Pelech Wotherspoon-Mayfield Helgeson-Quenneville Gibson, Gudlevskis and McAdam in goal.

Leave a comment:

• mw147
    replied
    https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...26045322485760

#Isles group two lines:
    Nelson-Beau-Ho-Sang
    Kulemin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
    Bellows-Kubiak-Bernier
    St. Denis-Gionta-C. Bailey
    Turcotte-Schempp

Leave a comment:

• mw147