X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017-18 Season Previews

https://www.nhl.com/news/2017-18-new...?tid=290471364

Inside look at New York Islanders

Eberle's arrival, Weight's first full season as coach should aid quest to return to playoffs

The New York Islanders wasted little time this offseason upgrading their top line, acquiring right wing Jordan Eberle in a trade with the Edmonton Oilers on June 22 for forward Ryan Strome.

Eberle, 27, has a history with Islanders center John Tavares as teammates for Canada over the past 10 years. Eberle, who has scored at least 20 goals five times in his NHL career, has two years remaining on a contract that has an average annual value of $6 million, according to CapFriendly.com.

"We've played together at the World Juniors when we were a lot younger," Eberle said. "We've played at World Championships together. Obviously, John is a generational player and a guy who thinks the game at a very high level, and he's obviously the leader of that team. I'm excited to hopefully get an opportunity to get a chance to play with him and hopefully bring some success to the Islanders."
    This will be the Islanders' first full season under Weight, who went 24-12-4 after replacing Jack Capuano as coach Jan. 17. Weight made several changes to the coaching staff this offseason, including hiring assistants Luke Richardson, Scott Gomez and Kelly Buchberger. Fred Brathwaite replaces Mike Dunham as goaltending coach, and Greg Cronin was promoted to associate coach. Bob Corkum, an assistant the past three seasons, will not return.

"Training camp will be different," Weight said. "Training camp will be hard, and the players are going to be addressed to that fact. It's going to be challenging. To me, the best thing about camp is you work out all summer, but you have this pit in your stomach, this nervousness, this specialness that it's not just another practice.

"Going out there the first time, whether I was 33, 38, 22, I had butterflies. I knew it was going to be tough at the end where you were going to have some skating, I knew there was some physical tests, I knew I was going to be sore. We don't want anyone getting injured, so rest will be a key. It always is, but they're going to be tested. It's going to be a different environment, so I'm excited about what it's going to look like, for sure."
    Belmont and/or Bust!!!

https://www.nhl.com/news/new-york-is...?tid=290471364

Top prospects for New York Islanders

Pulock, Barzal, Ho-Sang could make major contributions this season

With spots available among their top six forwards and top four on defense, the New York Islanders likely are turning to younger players to fill those positions.

Here are the Islanders' top five prospects, according to NHL.com:
    I guess Beau is no longer considered a prospect.
    Belmont and/or Bust!!!

Comment

https://www.nhl.com/news/2017-18-isl...?tid=290471364

Three questions facing New York Islanders

Goaltending, Tavares' contract situation among concerns

The New York Islanders took a step back last season and failed to qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. They should have one of the more formidable top lines in the Eastern Conference, with John Tavares at center between Anders Lee and Jordan Eberle. But trading Travis Hamonic to the Calgary Flames for NHL Draft picks leaves a rather large hole on defense.

Doug Weight is preparing for his first training camp as Islanders coach after guiding them to a 24-12-4 record during the final 40 games last season.

Belmont and/or Bust!!!

Comment

Potential for a very solid goaltending duo and top line, rest of the team is too full of holes and question marks to consider the Isles more than a bubble team though. 2 big ones, second line center and top 4 defensman. I think those 2 strong areas, not to mention a better system under Weight, should get them into the playoffs, but you don't get far without good 2-way play. Isles defense, among defensman and forwards, questionable at best.

Comment

Originally posted by mw147 View Post

The New York Islanders wasted little time this offseason upgrading their top line, acquiring right wing Jordan Eberle

Are you sure? I know a place where the fans think we need to balance the lines and Bailey should stay on the 1st. Doesn't Doug agree with that line of thinking?
          #Bloodoath

Comment

Originally posted by Tjay View Post
            Are you sure? I know a place where the fans think we need to balance the lines and Bailey should stay on the 1st. Doesn't Doug agree with that line of thinking?
            I'm quite sure.
            Belmont and/or Bust!!!

Comment

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ampaign=buffer

On Islanders goaltending, defense and settling in as camp nears

A few Islanders notes as prospect camp opens on Friday and the full training camp follows a week later:

Calvin de Haan admitted he was looking for more than the one-year, $3.3-million deal he signed minutes before his arbitration hearing was set to begin last month.

“Obviously we wanted term but I’m happy to be here for another season, go from there,” de Haan said. “I guess it’s part of the game. Glad we didn’t have to go through the hearing because apparently it’s not the greatest experience, but whatever. At the end of the day, it was a good summer.”

With Travis Hamonic off to Calgary, de Haan sees an opportunity for someone on the Isles’ defense to step forward and grab those heavy minutes.
              Cal Clutterbuck said the groin injury that kept recurring last season, costing him 16 games and rendering him less than his usual strength for several others, was the result of changing his skates.

“Took me a little while to realize that’s what was causing it to keep happening,” he said. “Changed my skates back and everything’s been fine.”
              Andrew Ladd and Jason Chimera were among the early arrivals to Long Island, and it’s a very different experience getting settled this year than it was a year ago when both came in as new Islanders and joined a room that was still adjusting to the losses of Kyle Okposo, Frans Nielsen and Matt Martin.

“Especially from the family aspect, knowing they’re comfortable is important,” Ladd said. “Obviously you know the guys really well, there hasn’t been a lot of turnover. Anytime you miss the playoffs you’ve got the whole summer to think about it, you get excited this time of year to get another crack at it.”

Ladd also reminded that John Tavares missed all but a week of training camp last year due to the World Cup, which in hindsight had an impact on the team’s slow start. Ladd didn’t jell with Tavares and Jack Capuano pulled the plug on that pairing after only a month, contributing to Ladd’s slow start.
              Belmont and/or Bust!!!

Comment

Soon... Was it your skates Cal or was it the ice??

Comment

Originally posted by TonyD View Post

Soon... Was it your skates Cal or was it the ice??
                  My vote goes to brain.

Comment

Originally posted by mw147 View Post

"It's going to be a different environment, so I'm excited about what it's going to look like"
                    I love that quote from Weight. Jack was a buffoon.
                    #Bloodoath

Comment

Originally posted by Tjay View Post
                      I love that quote from Weight. Jack was a buffoon.
                      I look forward to Doug's interviews. I know it has nothing to do with coaching but his answers are so refreshing after having to listen to Cappy for half a decade. I look forward to some entertaining answer from Dougie
                      THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

Originally posted by TK27 View Post

I look forward to Doug's interviews. I know it has nothing to do with coaching but his answers are so refreshing after having to listen to Cappy for half a decade. I look forward to some entertaining answer from Dougie
                        The post game show is going to be great!
                        #Bloodoath

Comment

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2...ork-islanders/

2017-18 NHL Team Preview: New York Islanders

Is there an NHL team with more riding on its success this winter than the New York Islanders? Is there a general manager facing a more crucial contract extension than Garth Snow?

We think not.

Under mid-season replacement coach Doug Weight — who did a helluva job with nothing to lose — the Isles battled admirably through goalie controversy, trade rumours, key injuries, and troubling rink issues to nearly snag a wild-card berth and remain relevant until the final weekend of the regular season.

Weight was given the permanent bench gig, contractual mistake Mikhail Grabovski and solid goalie prospect Jean-Francois Berube flew off to Vegas, and top-four defenceman Travis Hamonic and 24-year-old forward Ryan Strome were deployed to the Battle of Alberta.

For right-shot Hamonic, Snow reaped a rich package of futures but weakened an already-questionable blue line. The GM certainly got the better (and more expensive) player in the Strome deal, uniting Jordan Eberle with John Tavares in hopes the friends can lead New York back to the playoffs.

Pressure = on.
                          Belmont and/or Bust!!!

Comment

Preview?????????????? Sounds more like a pastview
                            THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

Don't know if this was posted yet, but the rag that is The Hockey News predicted us falling to 7th in the Metro. Utter nonsense.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...york-islanders

Comment

Working...
                              X