X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robin Salo

https://twitter.com/NYIslanders/stat...23180692312066

New York Islanders‏Verified account @NYIslanders 38m38 minutes ago

With the 46th pick of the 2017 #NHLDraft the #Isles select D Robin Salo.

The year of the Finns!

#Isles select D Robin Salo from Sport Vaasa in Finland.

Comment

Here is some info on Salo:

Robin Salo - 2017 Prospect Draft Profile The underrated Vaasan Sport defender had a solid season in SM-Liiga on a weak team and could be a hidden gem.

Comment

More on Salo

Comment

Comment

He was one of the guys I was hoping would get to us. Had a very nice season in the elite league as an 18 y/o and is guy who could be ready in a couple of years. He could easily be another de Haan (might even put up more points than Cal). If he somehow can grow 2 inches that'd be awesome, but it wouldn't hurt his career too munch if he didn't. Good first pick for us.

The video mw put up is very indicative of his play.

Comment

Originally posted by FranzyFan View Post
              He was one of the guys I was hoping would get to us. Had a very nice season in the elite league as an 18 y/o and is guy who could be ready in a couple of years. He could easily be another de Haan (might even put up more points than Cal). If he somehow can grow 2 inches that'd be awesome, but it wouldn't hurt his career too munch if he didn't. Good first pick for us.

The video mw put up is very indicative of his play.
              From what I've read, it's not size that could hold him back, it's his footwork. They say he needs to focus on his 1st few steps. Supposedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom View Post

From what I've read, it's not size that could hold him back, it's his footwork. They say he needs to focus on his 1st few steps. Supposedly.
                There's that, but his IQ usually allows him to anticipate the play before it happens which makes up for it. Still, I never want any player to be happy with their skating. That should always be #1 for players to work on over the summers. I think if he works with whomever helped Tavares, he'll get to where he needs to be. He's not Reinhart who couldn't move at all and he'll never be Leddy. He can, however, get to average or slightly above it, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by FranzyFan View Post

There's that, but his IQ usually allows him to anticipate the play before it happens which makes up for it. Still, I never want any player to be happy with their skating. That should always be #1 for players to work on over the summers. I think if he works with whomever helped Tavares, he'll get to where he needs to be. He's not Reinhart who couldn't move at all and he'll never be Leddy. He can, however, get to average or slightly above it, IMO.
                  Dam if only I was born in a different era with my size and skating ability I could have been a contender lol
                  THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

Robin Salo didn’t exactly put together a good post-draft season. He was the Isles’ first pick of the 2017 draft, 46th overall, but went back to Finland and couldn’t do much for a Sport Vaasa team that won just 12 of 60 games last season.

“I had a lot of traveling last summer – draft, all that, the season started right away and maybe I wasn’t prepared enough for the season,” said Salo, who had no goals and five assists last season. “I know I will be better prepared this time.”

He’s changed teams in his home country’s league as well, moving to SaiPa for the upcoming season.

“You learn some new things, going through a rough time – it’s all a helpful experience,” he said.

Comment

I have played on teams that have only won 12 games in 60. Trust me on a team like that no one looks good!!!!!!!! Nothing like making a great pass to a player that can't receive a pass lol...... but you get my drift.
                      Last edited by TK27; 08-16-2018, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TK27 View Post

I have played on teams that have only won 12 games in 60. Trust me on a team like that no one looks good!!!!!!!! Nothing like making a great pass to a player that can receive a pass lol...... but you get my drift.
                        Not giving up on him yet, but this is not encouraging either. Let's see what happens this season.

Comment

Knew nothing about this player until I clicked on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by sneakypete View Post
                            Glad we can help you be an informed Islander fan!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sneakypete View Post
                              I actually have high hopes for this kid. Granted pretty much on watched highlites of him but he may turn out being a really good sleeper pick!

Comment

Working...
                              X