Special Teams PP/PK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Teams PP/PK

The strong play of the PK from the second half of last season has carried over to this year. The PP , IMO, still has its troubles. Although it's ranked 4th in the league, I don't think the Islanders can maintain that unless adjustments are made. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the PP has a high percentage because they've been able to score on the rush, its when the team is able to set up in the offensive zone where they have their problems. They play a nice game of passing it around to each other around the perimeter and nobody is moving in towards the net. http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/te...t/powerPlayPct
    Last edited by Tjay; 10-27-2015, 04:07 PM.
    "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

Islanders' Special Teams Clicking

The Islanders power play and penalty kill are both top-five in the NHL

here was a lot to like about the Islanders’ 4-0 win over the Calgary Flames on Monday night. Jaroslav Halak posted his second shutout in three games and the Islanders got four goals without John Tavares hitting the scoresheet, but Jack Capuano put the spotlight elsewhere.

“Special teams were a big factor in tonight’s win,” Capuano said. “The power play got a big goal when we needed it.”

Both the Islanders’ power play and penalty kill are top-five in the NHL to start the season. The power play scored for a third consecutive game, pushing the Islanders to fifth in PP efficiency (25%), while the penalty kill has killed off 21 straight minors over the last six games. Shorthanded, the Islanders rank second in the league (91.2%).
    http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...pid=rss-wright

Comment

Are we really that high in PP? I am shocked, we looked so bad the first few games.
      "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

Comment

Originally posted by mw147 View Post
        Are we really that high in PP? I am shocked, we looked so bad the first few games.
        Me too, but it has been better the last couple of games after they put Frans and Leddy on the top line. At least now they can get the puck in the zone. I still would rather they split Leddy and Frans so both units have someone who can get the puck over the line. While the dump-and-chase worked against the Flames, I doubt it will against most teams.

PK face-off draws have been much better this season even if they don't always clear the puck. That alone accounts for at least a 5-10% increase in effectiveness in my estimation.

Comment

We got off to a great start last season and the play of speical teams was terrible. This year their play has been fantastic, and we are off to a decent start, but I feel like we are underperforming.

Comment

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...kie-1.11154065

The Islanders' penalty kill was the league's best through 12 games, operating at over 90 percent efficiency. They now are at 78.9 percent, no longer in the top half of the NHL.

"Our penalty kill has got to be better," Jack Capuano said. "The last couple weeks, we've given up goals and they're all timely ones. We're right where we need to be tonight, tied with five minutes left, and we don't give ourselves a chance."

Comment

I hate you, Jack!

Comment

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ams-1.11161223
                Islanders stress improvement on special teams

The Islanders took turns collecting pucks sitting across the blue lines at Iceworks, and they skated in on the goalie at each end of the rink. Soon they were shooting from in close at one end and from the point at the other.

The point is to find the net in games, especially during the power play, and keep the puck out of the net, especially during the opposing power play. The Isles' special teams haven't been too special lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Tjay View Post
                  The strong play of the PK from the second half of last season has carried over to this year. The PP , IMO, still has its troubles. Although it's ranked 4th in the league, I don't think the Islanders can maintain that unless adjustments are made. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the PP has a high percentage because they've been able to score on the rush, its when the team is able to set up in the offensive zone where they have their problems. They play a nice game of passing it around to each other around the perimeter and nobody is moving in towards the net. http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/te...t/powerPlayPct
                  PP was ranked 4th at 25%, now ranked 22nd at 16.4%

Comment

http://www.nyiskinny.com/2015/11/the...delphia-1.html
                    Power Plays
                    The Islanders were 0-2 on the power play, while Philadelphia was 1-5; the Isles did score their third shorthanded goal of the season.
                    The Isles power play is 1-24 (4.2%) over the last seven games after opening the season 9-36 (25%) while the penalty killers have allowed 10 goals in 32 times short over the last ten games (68.7%).
                    The Isles are 5-2-2 when they score at least one power play goal and 5-7-1 when they do not. The Isles are 5-5-1 when they allow at least one power play goal and 6-3-2 when they do not.

Comment

https://twitter.com/MikeKellyNHL/sta...54955956748288

NYI: ridiculous special teams numbers over last 10 games.. PP = 31.8% (1st) PK = 96.2% (1st) Not surprisingly, Isles are 8-0-2 in last 10.
                      Pretty lofty numbers. That and the goaltending have been the key to this run.

The PP and PK will cool off (regress?), hopefully JT heats up and we can keep it going.

Comment

Doesn't feel like we've been playing that great because some of the games have been close and our play has been lack luster at times. I guess we can give kudos to the special team coaches and dump on Capuano for the even strength play.

Comment

Originally posted by Tjay View Post
                          Doesn't feel like we've been playing that great because some of the games have been close and our play has been lack luster at times. I guess we can give kudos to the special team coaches and dump on Capuano for the even strength play.

I'm all aboard the bash Capuano train, but I don't argue with the numbers that matter - wins. Frankly, those special teams numbers are scary good - and Cappy must get some positive press.

My radar is locked on the team as the season progresses. The signs of disintegration were evident last year before the team started losing. If Cappy wants to be taken seriously, that must be rectified.
                          The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

Comment

I made a suggestion in tonight's game day thread, and the more I think about it the more I would like to see them try it.

Fourth line on the PP. The PP is a disaster and they actually move their feet and drive to the net. They can only do better.

Comment

Both special teams have been off the charts recently. Too bad they are in opposite directions.

http://www.nyiskinny.com/2015/12/the...medium=twitter
                              The Islanders were 0-4 on the power play while Toronto was also 0-4.
                              The Isles have killed all 35 opponent power plays in their franchise-record 15 game streak of not allowing power play goals; it's the second time this season (October 15- November 1) that the Isles killed all opposing power plays in at least nine consecutive games.
                              The Isles' power play has scored only once in 25 attempts over the last seven games.
                              The Isles are 10-3-3 when they score at least one power play goal and 10-9-2 when they do not. The Isles are 5-5-1 when they allow at least one power play goal and 15-7-4 when they do not.
                              I repeat my call to give the 4th line some real PP time. Maybe they can turn it around, at the very least they will be aggressive in the offensive zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X