X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brendan Burke

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...cer-1.12162752

Brendan Burke to replace Howie Rose as Islanders play-by-play announcer

MSG Networks plans to announce Thursday that Brendan Burke will succeed Howie Rose as the Islanders’ primary television play-by-play man, working alongside analyst Butch Goring.

Burke, 32, most recently was the radio play-by-play man for the Utica Comets of the American Hockey League.
    He grew up primarily in New Jersey, where his father, Don, worked as a sportswriter for The Star-Ledger of Newar

"There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

WooooooHoooooo!

This is awesome! I was just reading up about this guy yesterday, and I'm VERY excited he got the nod!

Comment

He sounds pretty good. I wonder if Chris King thought he was a shoe in for this spot.

Comment

I wonder if this is a coincidence.

https://twitter.com/brendanmburke/st...85381320056832

Brendan Burke ‏@brendanmburke Congrats to my former intern and now fellow AHL voice @AlanFuehring on his new gig with @TheSoundTigers. I’m officially old.
        I have not had time to read up on him at all, but I do see that he is 32 years old. Young guy for this gig. Hopefully he will be as good at his job as Shannon is at hers.

I wonder what the dynamic with Butch will be?

Comment

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=890922
          MSG Networks Names Brendan Burke As Islanders Play-By-Play Announcer

Burke will call Islanders games on MSG Networks with Butch Goring

MSG Networks the television home of the New York Islanders, today announced that Brendan Burke will be the team’s new play-by-play announcer, replacing Howie Rose, who had been calling Islanders game since 1995. Burke will team with Islanders legend Butch Goring to call all the action for the 2016-17 Islanders campaign.
          Burke has also called some action in the NHL, serving as fill-in radio play-by-play announcer on KMOX for the St. Louis Blues from 2009-2012. And from 2008-2013 Burke Burke handled the play-by-play for the Peoria (IL) Rivermen, The St. Louis Blues affiliated team in the AHL. He also served as the Director of Communications for team during his tenure there.

Burke is from the tri-state area - Fair Lawn, New Jersey - and is a graduate of New Jersey’s Paramus Catholic High School and a 2006 Cum Laude graduate of Ithaca College in Ithaca, New York.

Comment

Utica Comets announcement

http://www.uticacomets.com/news/deta...ay-broadcaster
            Brendan Burke Named as Islanders TV Play-by-Play Broadcaster

Aug 11, 2016
            MSG Networks, the television home of the New York Islanders, today announced that Comets broadcaster, Brendan Burke, will be the Islander’s new play-by-play announcer. He replaces Howie Rose, who had been calling Islanders games since 1995. Burke will team with Islanders legend Butch Goring to call all the action for the 2016-17 Islanders campaign.

“It is an incredible honor to be joining MSG Networks and becoming part of the Islanders family,” said Burke. “It’s very humbling to think I am following in the footsteps of two of the all-time greats in Howie Rose and Jiggs McDonald. It has been a lifelong goal to be an NHL broadcaster and to come home to New York City, and to work for one of the NHL’s iconic franchises, is an absolute dream come true.”

Comment

https://twitter.com/GreenLanternJet/...46850809716737

Jeff Capellini ‏@GreenLanternJet Source also confirms that Steve Mears was a finalist for #Isles play-by-play gig

Comment

Mears is good, but I think like this guy better. The other guy supposedly under consideration was Steve Cohen, who sounds competent and professional, but pretty boring and bland.

Comment

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...cer-1.12162752
                  Brendan Burke replaces Howie Rose as Islanders play-by-play announcer

Brendan Burke decided he wanted to be a sports broadcaster in uniquely New York fashion. It was the spring of 1993, when he was 9, and he tagged along on a road trip to Fenway Park with his sportswriter father, Don.
                  One day the elder Burke arranged for Brendan to sit in the Yankees radio booth with John Sterling and Michael Kay.
                  “He explained to me that that was their job, that they got paid for this,” Burke recalled. “I was like, ‘Hey, sign me up! That’s what I want to do.’ ”
                  Twenty-three years later, he will get paid to call games for a New York team, too.
                  While most Islanders fans respected Rose’s work, some questioned whether he ever fully shed his roots as a Rangers fan.

So, what was Burke’s team in his youth? He said that as a sportswriter’s son, he grew up learning to appreciate the games without taking sides.

“I know people are going to say, ‘There’s no way that’s true,’ ” he said, “but that’s how I was brought up.”
                  He is right about that - I don't believe him. If he had grown up an Isles fan he would have mentioned it. More likely he was a Devils or Rangers fan. But that's OK. And probably smart considering that some people resented Howie until the very end. Which IMHO was absurd.

Comment

No Ranger connection, he's passed my standard.
                    "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

Comment

Never heard of him. Will reserve judgment until I hear his work.

Is Butch sticking around or are they gonna force-feed us Ricky?
                      The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

Comment

I thought he sounded pretty good. It could have been worse for sure. I loved Howie and it is going to be tough to replace him. But I think this guy might be able to do it. Nice voice.
                        THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

http://nypost.com/2016/08/11/meet-br...the-islanders/

Meet Brendan Burke, the new TV voice of the Islanders

Twenty-three years ago, Brendan Burke decided he wanted to be a sports broadcaster.

He was 9 years old and he was sitting between John Sterling and Michael Kay, then the Yankees’ radio team, as they broadcast a game at Fenway Park. His father, Don, was a sportswriter who covered the Yankees at the time and took his son with him to the game.

Burke immediately fell in love.

“I listened to them,” he said. “I found out from my dad that their job was to talk about sports … and they got paid for it.

“In that moment, that was when I knew what I wanted.”

Now, he’ll be the one being paid to talk about sports. MSG Network announced Thursday that Burke is succeeding Howie Rose as the lead TV play-by-play voice for Islanders games alongside analyst Butch Goring.

Comment

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/08/...msg-network-2/
                            Schwartz: Meet Brendan Burke, The New TV Voice For The Islanders

After Paying His Dues For A Decade In The Minors, Ithaca College Alum Has Graduated To Bright Lights Of NHL

Dreams do come true, but sometimes achieving them takes a little longer than anticipated.

Throughout his 10-year career calling minor league hockey games, Brendan Burke was on a quest to get a job in the National Hockey League. During his time in the minors, Burke had positioned himself to be in the discussion when jobs opened up, but things didn’t go as planned.

“I hadn’t necessarily gotten as far along with some of the other openings in the past as I would have liked,” Burke said.

That is until this year.
                            I found this interesting. I thought MSG hired and the Isles just had the right to approve. Sounds like Ledecky got involved. I like it.

He worked his way through the process and found himself sitting in a studio auditioning with analyst and Islanders legend Butch Goring, calling a game off of a monitor.

“In that 15 minutes that I got to work with him, I felt really good about it,” said Burke, who had been the voice of the Utica Comets, the AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks, since 2013.

Burke’s run through the process would go even further as he would sit down with new Islanders co-owner Jon Ledecky on Aug. 1. After the meeting, Burke was feeling really good about his chances, but there was no call on Tuesday and then Wednesday went by without any news.

Comment

Originally posted by TK27 View Post
                              I thought he sounded pretty good. It could have been worse for sure. I loved Howie and it is going to be tough to replace him. But I think this guy might be able to do it. Nice voice.
                              Hear him on Youtube....sounded real good IMO

Comment

Working...
                              X