Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ilya Sorokin

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...02921584058368

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday ... Chatted with Ilya Sorokin a couple times. Said he'd never seen 2000+ fans come out for a scrimmage, was impressed by #Isles fans passion
    https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...03152769945602

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday Sorokin met Alexei Yashin last night, they're going to dinner tonight. #Isles coaches all very impressed by Sorokin's work habits.
    https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...03404906266624

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
    On fellow KHLer and #Isles draftee Anatoli Golyshev, Sorokin said: "He's not too tall but he's hard to get the puck from. Has great vision."

I really like that Yashin is taking him to dinner. I respect Yashin for having no hard feelings, which he easily could have. And I like that the team is using every resource at its disposal.

And I am still excited about this kid. Based on we already know about him and add in seeing him last night and I think he could be the one. Damn we could use that.

Comment

He would be the best thing to happen to this franchise since that JT fella got drafted.

Josh Bailey, 2020 Conn Smythe trophy winner.

#bloodoath
      #secondaryassitsmatter

Comment

Well it is enough for me to get excited about the kid. Also enough for me to probably draft the kid in my fantasy league. I can draft and let him sit for 4 years or so before signing him (ya I'm that patient). I can't take the chance of loosing him. We have 4 teams from Latvia in our league and those guys like the Euro players and with the name of my team being Comox Islanders they like to scoop Islanders out from under me
        THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

Sorokin-NYI picking up KHL season where he left off, 4 goals over 3 games. From 2015-16 incl PO to now, 61 goals on 1208 shots .950 SV%.
          https://twitter.com/coreypronman/sta...36899146596352

Been told he's one of the best pure talents not playing in NHL right now, FWIW.
          Last edited by Dom; 09-10-2016, 12:03 AM.

Comment

KHL season is off and running and most teams have played 7 o 8 games already with Sorokin's team (CSKA) winning 7 games and losing 1..and they are in first place in their division with 21 points and have the best record in the league so far. Its a big skewed because the games played are all over the place and I guess it has to do with some of the travel for the teams as some teams have played 8 games already while you have others that have played 6 games with one team only playing 5 games.

Sorokin has played in 4 games and has a 3-0 record and a 1.12 GAA and a 95.2 save percentage....

BTW, Petrov is Sorokin's teammate now on CSKA and through 8 games, he has 3 goals, 2 assists, and 5 points.

Comment

Does this add a point in Garth's drafting favor or is another one that doesn't count because he hasn't played in the NHL yet?

Comment

Originally posted by FranzyFan View Post
                Does this add a point in Garth's drafting favor or is another one that doesn't count because he hasn't played in the NHL yet?
                Over the years Garth has taken lots of shots with mid and lower round picks. Some have worked, others have not. But overall I like the philosophy. If it works out you can get an NHL player way lower than he should have gone. And if not, then so what? What are the odds of the typical 3rd or 4th or 5th round pick ever sticking in the NHL?

I have always liked it when Garth made these picks. To me, if Sorokin ever comes and is what we hope he can be, it's a major coup for Garth. Now if he can just pick up his game on top 5 picks.......well hopefully we are not getting any more of those anyway.

Comment

Sorokin is splitting duties with Viktor Fasth. Fasth seems to be the #1 for now for CSKA as he's played in 5 of their 8 games but, he was pulled in one of their games. Minutes split so far is: Fasth 263 minutes and Sorokin 215 minutes but I'm not sure what teams Sorokin got his starts against, whether against the better teams in the league or lesser teams.

BTW, one guy that seems to be overlooked is Linus Soderstrom who could turn out to be a very good goalie as well, we could have two good ones coming up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mw147 View Post

Over the years Garth has taken lots of shots with mid and lower round picks. Some have worked, others have not. But overall I like the philosophy. If it works out you can get an NHL player way lower than he should have gone. And if not, then so what? What are the odds of the typical 3rd or 4th or 5th round pick ever sticking in the NHL?

I have always liked it when Garth made these picks. To me, if Sorokin ever comes and is what we hope he can be, it's a major coup for Garth. Now if he can just pick up his game on top 5 picks.......well hopefully we are not getting any more of those anyway.
                    Exactly. While his top draft has been shaky, though he did turn two picks into one good role player and a high potential guy, the draft isn't only about rd 1.

It does get magnified when the rest of his moves are bad.

Comment

Originally posted by mw147 View Post

Maybe he should take it as a sign that he needs better scouting?
                      "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

Comment

I'll temper my expectations about this kid. The KHL does not have the quality offense that the NHL does. Also, this could also be a matter of his team just being a very good defensive team. I personally think Holtby is a super overrated goaltender and that Washington's team defense is so stifling that he benefits from low quality shots against and low shot totals in general. Like I said, perhaps that is the same case with Sorokin's team?

Comment

Originally posted by gazaroog View Post
                          I'll temper my expectations about this kid. The KHL does not have the quality offense that the NHL does. Also, this could also be a matter of his team just being a very good defensive team. I personally think Holtby is a super overrated goaltender and that Washington's team defense is so stifling that he benefits from low quality shots against and low shot totals in general. Like I said, perhaps that is the same case with Sorokin's team?
                          I know it also doesn't mean much but at the rookie scrimmage he was a man among boys. I was so impressed with him, it felt like you and Tamby!

Comment

In his second game of tournament Sunday, Ilya Sorokin-NYI posted a 32 save shutout versus Czech national team. You'll see him at the Worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom View Post
                              In his second game of tournament Sunday, Ilya Sorokin-NYI posted a 32 save shutout versus Czech national team. You'll see him at the Worlds.

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/sta...29895489933312
                              Even if we can't trade Jaro both his and Sorokin's contracts are up at the end of next season. I wonder what kind of contract it will take to get him here? I can't imagine him making the $4.5 that Jaro makes. This could be a position where we save some cap space for a couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                              X