Official Lines for the 2022-23 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Lines for the 2022-23 Season Thread

We usually have a running thread for this topic. Well, it appears we now know the top 6 to at least start the season:

https://nyihockeynow.com/new-york-is...ndgCJsQZtgV0xM goOl8uqNeHAFcZwsSsk
    Rosner: Lambert Going Back to Familiar Lines For Top Six, ‘If It Ain’t Broke’ Mentality

ANDERS LEE BACK WITH BROCK NELSON & ANTHONY BEAUVILLIER

For the first time at training camp, Anders Lee was back alongside Brock Nelson and Anthony Beauvillier, a threesome that carried the New York Islanders offense late in the season. Brock Nelson put up a career-high 37 goals, while Anders Lee, in year one following a torn ACL, scored 28 goals following a slow start to his season. Anthony Beauvillier had a tough season with just 12 goals but looked much stronger alongside those two.

This threesome played the second most minutes of any line for the New York Islanders a season ago, 279:18 minutes per Money Puck. When together, for 28 games, they outscored their opponents 18-17 with an Expected Goals For of 11.4 and an Expected Goals Against of 15.9.

The best month of the season for these three was March, where Anders Lee notched 14 even-strength points (7 goals, 7 assists), Brock Nelson with 16 points (8 goals, 8 assists), and Anthony Beauvillier with 13 points (3 goals, 10 assists) in 16 games.

KYLE PALMIERI REJOINS ZACH PARISE & MATHEW BARZAL

On Thursday, we released a piece on the chemistry between 38-year-old Zach Parise and 25-year-old Mathew Barzal, a bond that has been growing and growing. Given training camp so far, it has become clear that Lane Lambert likes the Parise-Barzal duo.

The question was, who would win the job on the right side of that line?

Kyle Palmieri joined that duo for Thursday’s practice, a trio that could be together for opening night in a few weeks.

“We try and stay on pucks and be aggressive, and I mean, both those guys are really talented players,” Palmieri said Thursday. “I thought we had a good thing going, and I think we want to take this opportunity and kind of get that get that fire started again and see what we do chemistry-wise and get comfortable with each other, but I think as a line, it should work pretty well.”

This trio did see action last season before a Mathew Barzal injury forced a necessary dismantling of the line. But when they were together, it was not all rainbows and butterflies, being outscored 6-3 in 102:24 minutes. They had an Expected Goals For of 5.3 and an Expected Goals Against of 5.3.

All three of these players last season had 15 goals, with each having the potential to score well above 20. The first half put Parise and Palmieri behind the eight ball with just one goal for Parise through 30 games, with Palmieri only having three goals over that same span.
    Given the limited options, I guess this makes some sense. This would mean for the rest:

Bailey Pageau (Wahlstrom or Bellows <Bailey to switch sides>)
    Martin Cizikas Clutterbuck

I have a feeling Wahlstrom is going to be sent down.

There isn't much to guess about what the lines are going to be - even though I don't believe Rosner at all.
    And this "if it ain't broke mentality" that Rosner seems to think is completely wrong. It IS broke!

Wahlstrom I hope finds his game.. I really really do!
    Last edited by TonyD; 09-30-2022, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gazaroog View Post
      We usually have a running thread for this topic. Well, it appears we now know the top 6 to at least start the season:

https://nyihockeynow.com/new-york-is...ndgCJsQZtgV0xM goOl8uqNeHAFcZwsSsk
      Rosner: Lambert Going Back to Familiar Lines For Top Six, ‘If It Ain’t Broke’ Mentality

Given the limited options, I guess this makes some sense. This would mean for the rest:

Bailey Pageau (Wahlstrom or Bellows <Bailey to switch sides>)
      Martin Cizikas Clutterbuck

I have a feeling Wahlstrom is going to be sent down.
      I like Wahlstrom Pageau Bellows better.

"We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

Comment

Bailey on the 3rd line where he belongs. Where he has belonged for the past 9 years. Now if we can just subtract 2 million from his cap hit.

Would love to see Wahlstrom and/or Bellows in the top 6 mix but neither one ran with the opportunity. Sounds like Bellows was decent while Oliver was garbage in camp.

Comment

I've often wondered if they should try this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	34
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	201006

Comment

My lines tomorrow:

Beau Barzal Wahlstrom (what do you have to lose?)
            Lee Nelson Bailey
            Parise Pageau Palmieri
            Martin Cizikas Clutterbuck.

Comment

Need to trade some players for picks and package those picks with players in the hope that some team takes a Palmieri or a Lee. Beauvillier and Pageau should get us at the very least some picks, the question is do you trade Nelson. He's signed to a good contract, is productive, will get us a legit prospect and a good pick. In my opinion it's time to tear it down. You can keep the 4th line and let Bailey stay around until he retires, let them absorb the losses.

Lou needed to bring in a legit forward and has failed to do so. Was signing Barzal to a long term contract the right move? True superstars make players around them better and so far he's been unable to do that. He's young, highly skilled but he's not going to take this team on his back, he's unfortunately a secondary piece. I hope I'm completely off base and this team turns it around but the same problems have been there for 4 years and have not been addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by gazaroog View Post
                My lines tomorrow:

Beau Barzal Wahlstrom (what do you have to lose?)
                Lee Nelson Bailey
                Parise Pageau Palmieri
                Martin Cizikas Clutterbuck.
                I don't think it matters anymore, George. There are 1 or 2 big weak spots on each of those lines. This isn't about lines anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                  Need to trade some players for picks and package those picks with players in the hope that some team takes a Palmieri or a Lee. Beauvillier and Pageau should get us at the very least some picks, the question is do you trade Nelson. He's signed to a good contract, is productive, will get us a legit prospect and a good pick. In my opinion it's time to tear it down. You can keep the 4th line and let Bailey stay around until he retires, let them absorb the losses.

Lou needed to bring in a legit forward and has failed to do so. Was signing Barzal to a long term contract the right move? True superstars make players around them better and so far he's been unable to do that. He's young, highly skilled but he's not going to take this team on his back, he's unfortunately a secondary piece. I hope I'm completely off base and this team turns it around but the same problems have been there for 4 years and have not been addressed.
                  I am sure if you move, Varly, you can get a decent return of picks backs.

Comment

But yeah, I hate to say it but tear it all down. You build from the goaltending on out and we have that. The team is halfway there. Just about all of the forwards should be on the go, with the exception of a couple. Obviously Barzal isn't goin anywhere but as was mentioned, he's not the guy you build the team around - he is a secondary piece. I'd stay with Wahlstrom and any of the young guys with even a little but of promise - unless you can bring in someone with a higher upside.
                    You do still need some veteran exp, Parise is a good workhorse and has great experience. Casey, another good guy, kills penalties, wins face-offs, etc...

Comment

Soo, Robin Salo has been sent to Bridgeport and Aho has been called off active IR. Tell me how this is not a mistake?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyD View Post
                        Soo, Robin Salo has been sent to Bridgeport and Aho has been called off active IR. Tell me how this is not a mistake?
                        Absurd.

Salo is > Aho and we should be developing him.

I'm sick of this team's complete mismanagment of young assets.

Comment

Also just read that Bailey and Wahlstrom are flanking Barzal at practice today. So there's that too.

Comment

Working...
                          X