2022 Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mw147 View Post

Hey Scott, don't be a stranger. I always enjoy our discussions!

If Raty is ready next season he probably should play wing, easier to acclimate to the NHL game. He can move to center later.

I'm not giving up on Bellows or Wahlstrom. Not counting on them for the true goal scorer we need, but certainly possible for the 2nd spot you are talking about filling. Maybe with another year under their belts, and a bit less "tough love" from the new coach, one or both can thrive. Wahlstrom has shown flashes of being what we need. He could put it together.

Yesterday I mentioned that Boston has a surplus of LD that fit what you were talking about, Middle pair types like Mike Reilly at $3 million could fit our need. I have read that the price might be a 3rd round pick.
    It's a cap world. These two can easily replace Bailey and Beau and save us about 8 million against the cap.
    "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

Comment

We have a lot of guys up front who CAN finish. No true snipers, but a lot of guys capable of scoring 15-25 goals, in a couple of cases (Brock, Lee) even more. .
      Brock
      Barzal
      Pageau
      Lee
      Beau (if still here)
      Bailey (if still here)
      Wahlstrom
      Bellows
      Palmieri
      Parise

With better ability to move the puck from the blue line, scoring should get a bit easier. That is not to say we don't need a new wing who is a legitimate 25-30 goal scorer. We do. But I maintain that at least one puck moving dman comes first.
      Fix your post!!!
      14 years in the league and Bailey only managed to eclipse the 15 or better mark 4 times and his career avg is 13. Doesn't belong in this list.
      NO, NO, NO
      "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

Comment

We have a lot of guys up front who CAN finish. No true snipers, but a lot of guys capable of scoring 15-25 goals, in a couple of cases (Brock, Lee) even more. .
        Brock
        Barzal
        Pageau
        Lee
        Beau (if still here)
        Bailey (if still here)
        Wahlstrom
        Bellows
        Palmieri
        Parise

With better ability to move the puck from the blue line, scoring should get a bit easier. That is not to say we don't need a new wing who is a legitimate 25-30 goal scorer. We do. But I maintain that at least one puck moving dman comes first.
        All season long we watched pucks going to the net and not anyone who was clutch enough to finish. How many games could have been won if someone could just finish when they needed to?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          It’s not just goal totals but how and when. We need someone else other than just Barzal who can create offense, not just finish. The offense needs a new dynamic.

Nelson’s goals are great, even if he returns to “only” netting about 25, but he doesn’t make his wings better. His production and offensive game is more in tune with being a wing.

Barzal obviously has the ability to make his wings better but we haven’t see it yet, at least not at top line levels. Will some more space to be himself help? It should.

We need a top liner to play with Barzal and/or a 2nd line catalyst. Ideally both, but that certainly won’t be easy. Especially since our better trade chips may be needed for a top 4 defensman.
          100%! But there is no way there is cap space for 2 wingers up top. I would settle for 1 D and l winger.

Comment

Hey Scott, don't be a stranger. I always enjoy our discussions!

If Raty is ready next season he probably should play wing, easier to acclimate to the NHL game. He can move to center later.

I'm not giving up on Bellows or Wahlstrom. Not counting on them for the true goal scorer we need, but certainly possible for the 2nd spot you are talking about filling. Maybe with another year under their belts, and a bit less "tough love" from the new coach, one or both can thrive. Wahlstrom has shown flashes of being what we need. He could put it together.

Yesterday I mentioned that Boston has a surplus of LD that fit what you were talking about, Middle pair types like Mike Reilly at $3 million could fit our need. I have read that the price might be a 3rd round pick.
            I think with Trotz gone, Wahlstrom excels, if not he may just need a little bit of a change of scenery unfortunately - and I think Bellows will just get better. Bellows is the guy we should keep and he seemed to buy into Trozt's system but maybe with a little bit more leash and another year of EXP....but I like both and I think both can and will be valuable either on the ice in a return.

I'd look into Reilly for sure!

Comment

I think a top 4 mobile dman is needed MORE than a forward.
              We have a top 4. Scoring is our problem. You need a guy to play with Barzal who knows how to get open and can shoot the puck. We've needed that for 3 seasons now to get us over the hump.

Put it to you this way, if the Islanders had landed Tarasenko in the offseason, which sounds like Lou was trying to do, we'd still be playing right now.

Comment

Originally posted by gazaroog View Post

We have a top 4. Scoring is our problem. You need a guy to play with Barzal who knows how to get open and can shoot the puck. We've needed that for 3 seasons now to get us over the hump.

Put it to you this way, if the Islanders had landed Tarasenko in the offseason, which sounds like Lou was trying to do, we'd still be playing right now.
                We have 4 dmen who are top 4 but 3 of them are right handed (Pulock-Dobson-Mayfield). We only have one lefty - Pelech. We need to add 2 left D. One of them needs to be a very legit top 4 to play with Dobson. Then if Lou wants to save cap space and go with Salo or Hutton next to Mayfield, I am OK with that. But I think that a partner for Dobson is critical. To me our most important need.

Comment

We have 4 dmen who are top 4 but 3 of them are right handed (Pulock-Dobson-Mayfield). We only have one lefty - Pelech. We need to add 2 left D. One of them needs to be a very legit top 4 to play with Dobson. Then if Lou wants to save cap space and go with Salo or Hutton next to Mayfield, I am OK with that. But I think that a partner for Dobson is critical. To me our most important need.
                  I think a younger Greene or Chara would be just fine that won't break the bank. A guy like Edler, Zadorov, Gudbranson (who I think is underrated) and one guy who I think is perfect and only 27 us Hagg. I think none of these guys would break the bank. Edler is still really good and super underrated. He is I think 35, but he is still playing great hockey.

Comment

An interesting interview with Bill Guerin is here. He talks about the Fiala and Dumba potential moves in the offseason around 2/3rds into the interview where he comes to the defense of Dumba. It really sounds like Wild will not be able to retain Fiala. Guerin is right in terms that he had a really good 3 months, but Fiala is a good hockey player. He could be an interesting trade candidate.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/b...IQbPrYNeg29ICU

Comment

I think a younger Greene or Chara would be just fine that won't break the bank. A guy like Edler, Zadorov, Gudbranson (who I think is underrated) and one guy who I think is perfect and only 27 us Hagg. I think none of these guys would break the bank. Edler is still really good and super underrated. He is I think 35, but he is still playing great hockey.
                      I think we are on the same page. As much as I would like to bring in someone like Chycrun to play with Dobson, it does not have to be someone that high end. But it can't be a scrub or place holder. It has to be someone legit who can handle top 4 minutes and help the team, not someone we have to hide.

Comment

I think we are on the same page. As much as I would like to bring in someone like Chycrun to play with Dobson, it does not have to be someone that high end. But it can't be a scrub or place holder. It has to be someone legit who can handle top 4 minutes and help the team, not someone we have to hide.
                        Exactly. All the guys I mentioned are reliable guys in that role.

Comment

I heard that the Isles wanted more than just Tarasenko for Bailey so the deal fell through
                          THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

We don’t need an offensive defensman to pair with Dobson. I would strongly consider putting Dobson and Pelech together, would have the potential/talent to be THE best pairing in hockey, and get solid 2-way guy to put with Pulock. Any top 4 defensman won’t be cheap, but we could save a couple million and/or a trade chip with a 2nd pairing average offensive guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              We don’t need an offensive defensman to pair with Dobson. I would strongly consider putting Dobson and Pelech together, would have the potential/talent to be THE best pairing in hockey, and get solid 2-way guy to put with Pulock. Any top 4 defensman won’t be cheap, but we could save a couple million and/or a trade chip with a 2nd pairing average offensive guy.
                              Not an offensive dman per se, but we need someone (actually 2 of them) who is mobile and can skate with the puck. Qualities that Z and Greene were missing. And lacking those qualities hurt us. We spent way too much time pinned in our own zone, failing to clear the zone.

How the pairings shake out can be adjusted later. Your ideas are interesting and possible. But first is getting the "right" players. I still think that is more critical than a top line wing.

Comment

Same with Gaudreau.

Someone who could be achievable is Brian Rust from the Pens, who is UFA. He could be a good fit.
                                Rust resigned with the Pens for 6 years at $5.125 AAV. I wonder if that means the end of Malkin and/or Letang. I don't think they will have cap space for all of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X