2021 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Offseason Thread

So much coming this offseason. Before we get into it, thanks to a great group of fans we have here. I appreciate all of you.
    "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

Likewise Mark, we are lucky to have you leading us here.

As for the team, they should start by finding a way to get rid of the couple passengers we have.

Comment

So it's clear we need to figure out how to get through Tampa. How can we do that?

Let's start with the expectation that Tampa won't be able to stash Kucherov on LTIR again. They will likely need to find a way to let go of a couple of high priced, good players. That hopefully brings them down a notch or 2.

And we get back our captain, who we missed a lot in this series.

We need Dobson and Wahlstrom to take steps forward. They can provide some of what we lack.

Comment

Originally posted by mw147 View Post
        So it's clear we need to figure out how to get through Tampa. How can we do that?

Let's start with the expectation that Tampa won't be able to stash Kucherov on LTIR again. They will likely need to find a way to let go of a couple of high priced, good players. That hopefully brings them down a notch or 2.

And we get back our captain, who we missed a lot in this series.

We need Dobson and Wahlstrom to take steps forward. They can provide some of what we lack.
        I think you have to start with finding a way to subtract passengers.

Eberle tops that list, then Leddy is next, but you have to find someone to replace what he brings.

Find a way to bring back Palmieri to replace what Eberle is supposed to bring.

Wahlstrom comes in to fill in the RW spot next to Pageau. Gotta find someone to play LW on that line.

Comment

So much coming this offseason. Before we get into it, thanks to a great group of fans we have here. I appreciate all of you.
          Without you and this thread we would be lost souls when the team loses, you created a family on this board.

Comment

And we appreciate everything you do
            THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

Originally posted by 31GOALIE31 View Post

Without you and this thread we would be lost souls when the team loses, you created a family on this board.
              Should I be saying goodbye to you now Bruce before you disappear for the summer
              THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

We need a back up option if Lee goes down that isn't Leo. Has to be someone who can actually score goals. Maybe it's Palms, maybe someone else, but Barzal needs people who can use the space he creates. He's too magical to be passing to a Leo.

Comment

Need to get younger without taking a step back. Ideally Leddy goes and Salo and Bolduc make the roster next year. But would Trotz go with 2 rookie Dmen? Can resign Green on the cheap as insurance.

on offense, get Lee back and see if we can ditch Eberle to resign Palmieri. But maybe let both Eberle and Palms go and find someone younger to play RW next to Barzal.

Comment

Originally posted by mrlbem View Post
                    Need to get younger without taking a step back.
                    The cap demands this. Wahlstrom and Bellows will be in the lineup 82 games next year. Agree Ebs needs to go. Palmieri will likely not be back - he will get a big contract after that playoff and is out of our range. Lee will be back so that is obviously good. The blueline is more tricky. I would re-sign Greene as he was one of the best players on the ice last night and is likely to come cheap. Leddy eats a ton of minutes and replacing him will not be easy. The blueline is our strength and loathe to screw with it.

Main concern is the 4th line. Those guys take a lot of damage night in and night out. How much longer can they endure and we clearly need to sign Casey.

Lou will have a busy summer.
                    The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

Comment

Originally posted by TK27 View Post

Should I be saying goodbye to you now Bruce before you disappear for the summer
                      No I am going to make it my business to check the board twice a day because I miss you guys, it should be an interesting off season, and the new season for us starts in only 3 & 1/2 months.

Comment

I quoted some of this in one of the game threads, but we should all be aware of it here to set good parameters for the discussion.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/islanders

Right now we are right up against the cap ceiling. We know Boychuk will go on LTIR, that gives us $6 million in cap space.

The following are RFA and UFA and are not included in our current cap calculation.

UFA
                        Palmieri
                        Zajac
                        Cizikas
                        Greene

RFA
                        Dal Colle
                        Bellows
                        Beau
                        Koivula
                        Pelech
                        Sorokin

And that does not include minor league guys.

So...it's going to be a very tough road.

Start with who goes in the expansion draft.
                        Varly?
                        Leddy?
                        Eberle?
                        Those are the high priced guys.
                        Varly is $5 million, Leddy and Eberle are $5.5 million. Seatlle could take someone like Koivula or Bellows. But let's hope they take one of our high priced guys. We desperately need the cap space. Lou might have to throw them a 2nd round pick to persuade them to take who he wants to go.

I was favoring letting go of Varly, But damn if he did not play really well for most of the playoffs. He was our best player last night by a lot.

Leddy seems like the logical choice but there is no ready replacement for him unless the team feels that Hickey is capable of playing full time again. Bolduc may end up being very good but he very likely is not ready for full time NHL duty. Salo has never played in North America. Plugging him right in is risky to say the least. Wilde and Hutton are right shots and really aren't a consideration now anyway., Vande Sompel and Wotherspoon are left shots like Leddy. but are they even a consideration to play in the NHL?

Eberle was disappointing in the playoffs. Could we persuade Seattle to take him and then re-sign Palmieri for that spot on Barzal's line? That may not save us any cap space. It may actually cost us.

The other big issue is Ladd. Can we stash him on LTIR? That would save $4.375 against the cap. Lou really needs to make that happen.

After that Lou is making decisions on other key pieces.

Don't sign Beau and give Bellows a full time job? Seems like a bad idea. I am sure Beau's RFA rights could be traded, maybe even for a first. But that takes the team backwards.

Don't sign Casey and give Koivula a shot? That might make sense but it likely does not make us better for next season.

Maybe let Leddy go to Seattle, take a chance on a combo of Hickey and Bolduc/Salo in that spot?

We could buy out Leo, that would save a bit of cap space. Same for Hickey.

So as you can see this is complicated and difficult. Lou is going to have to do some of his best work to persuade our free agents to take a home team discount and carefully make cap space for them.

Comment

Originally posted by mrlbem View Post
                          Need to get younger without taking a step back. Ideally Leddy goes and Salo and Bolduc make the roster next year. But would Trotz go with 2 rookie Dmen? Can resign Green on the cheap as insurance.

on offense, get Lee back and see if we can ditch Eberle to resign Palmieri. But maybe let both Eberle and Palms go and find someone younger to play RW next to Barzal.
                          We have needed to get younger since Lou and Trotz arrived. It's not going to happen, at least not at the level other teams do it. I have resigned myself to that fact. We are going to have to make it work within the confines of how Lou and Barry operate. I hope they see how difficult it was for against the speed of Tampa two years in a row.

Comment

I have to say as sad as I am about last night, I'm not nearly as upset as I thought I would be. I got to see two series clinichers at the Coli which I thought would never happen after 2015 and it happened twice. We got the magical game 6 that ranks as the most exciting game I ever saw live. Plus, most my negative energy is focused on the fact that I may have postpone my birthday trip to London again if they don't drop the quarantine requirement. I started planning this trip in October 2109. If have to postpone again, I then need to decide if it's worth waiting another year or just go asap and pretend it's my birthday. Neither option is appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by FranzyFan View Post

We have needed to get younger since Lou and Trotz arrived. It's not going to happen, at least not at the level other teams do it. I have resigned myself to that fact. We are going to have to make it work within the confines of how Lou and Barry operate. I hope they see how difficult it was for against the speed of Tampa two years in a row.
                              Yes, I have resigned myself to accepting being one of the most successful teams in the NHL for the past 3 years. It's been tough after the 20 years before that, but I am managing to come to grips with it!

Comment

Working...
                              X