• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Dipietro

http://www.newsday.com/sports/media/...tar-1.10828401

Rick DiPietro turns from often-injured Islander to radio star

Updated September 11, 2015 2:51 AM
    By NEIL BEST [email protected]

"I can't believe that in a year this all would happen so quickly," DiPietro said Thursday as he and Hahn carpooled into Manhattan from their Long Island homes.

They never did, and now here "Hahn and Humpty" are, the first local voices heard on the station weekdays after six hours of national programming."Alan joked [last year] every time we did a show, we'll be here tomorrow, and we're going to keep doing this until they tell us to stop."

"It's always nice to get the first word in on what's happening in New York," said DiPietro, whose "Humpty" moniker refers to his oft-broken body. (His Twitter handle is @HDumpty39.)
    "It's a scary world, and at my age, at only 33 and not able to play hockey anymore, it's like, what do I do with my life?" he said. "You're used to making a certain amount of money and doing a certain amount of work and you get to the real world and it's 'where are you going to make that money?' You're not.

"You have to find something you love doing. Luckily for me, Alan dragged me out of the house and brought me in the radio studio with him, and I couldn't be happier with how it's turned out so far."

One pleasant surprise that began last summer and has continued: lots of social media love.

"To be completely honest, it's been amazing," he said. "I'll get tweets from people who start the conversation with 'I hated you as an Islander,' and I'm like, 'Uh-oh, where's this going?' But Rangers fans will be like, 'We love you on the radio!'

"As a professional athlete, a lot of times you have a hard time opening up with the media and giving people a glimpse of your real personality. But now, being on the radio for three hours a day, you can't help but do it, so the fans have been tremendous."

For KK!!

"There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

Comment

• Kaszycki's Krew
      Kaszycki's Krew commented
      Editing a comment
      WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE OBSESSING ON HIM ? Jeez - in that other forum I would get ROASTED if I brought up his name. And don't forget - its 31GOALIE31 who is madly deeply in love with Rickey

I'm happy for Rickey, I have no ill will towards him, sometimes things just don't work out. I think that the Hahn & Humpty program on ESPN radio will be great exposure for the Islanders. My job required alot of driving when I was still in NY and nobody (on radio) was talking about the Islanders. Now you have two Islander fans on a major network in the 12-3 slot. The Islanders are turning into a hot commodity.
    Last edited by Tjay; 09-12-2015, 09:48 AM.
    "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

Comment

Originally posted by Tjay View Post
      I'm happy for Rickey
      As am I. He was first class jackass for much of his career, and a lot of that has to be laid at the door of a franchise. But he legitimately thought he was doing the best for the team, and insofar as he is no longer a danger on the ice - well, I actually like the guy.
      The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

Comment

He's actually pretty good on the radio. Informed and well prepared.

I won't get to listen to him mid day.

I am glad he is finding success. And I am also glad he is not involved with the Isles. I think that would be awkward.

Comment

• Kaszycki's Krew
          Editing a comment
          Stop obsessing on this guy !!!!

Originally posted by mw147 View Post
        And I am also glad he is not involved with the Isles. I think that would be awkward.
        He is and he isn't, the Islanders will be writing him checks until 2029. I'm looking foward to hearing his take on the NHL through out the season.

Comment

Originally posted by mw147 View Post

I won't get to listen to him mid day.

I am glad he is finding success. And I am also glad he is not involved with the Isles. I think that would be awkward.
          I am just happy the word former Islander is in front of his name.

Comment

I was disappointed he retired. I was hoping he'd put his time in at the AHL level and work his way back up. I'd rather cheer for a successful comeback than see an unpopular player fail. Arod, for different reasons, is a good example of that.

Comment

I was disappointed he retired. I was hoping he'd put his time in at the AHL level and work his way back up. I'd rather cheer for a successful comeback than see an unpopular player fail. Arod, for different reasons, is a good example of that.
              After we bought him out he did briefly play for Carolina's AHL team. He was awful, they let him go, and that was it for him. I am not sure he actually retired after that; no one was interested.

Comment

I remember his first game after the Islanders sent him down, his Bridgeport team mates wouldn't play in front of him and he allowed 5 goals on 12 shots before being pulled. Never got the story as to what he did to upset the team.

Comment

I remember his first game after the Islanders sent him down, his Bridgeport team mates wouldn't play in front of him and he allowed 5 goals on 12 shots before being pulled. Never got the story as to what he did to upset the team.
                  He was a selfish, ego driven & generally not a good person to be around, not not well liked by his team mates wherever he played. You are correct even the Bridgeport team after meeting him in the locker room could't stand him.

Comment

• Kaszycki's Krew
                    Editing a comment
                    I thought you liked Rickey ???

Once he was no longer in an Islander jersey. Hot dogs anyone?

Comment

Well I will always be a fan. He was always very nice to me. And he was nice to Nicky, even though he cried when he held him lol

Comment

Originally posted by MrsDp View Post
                      Well I will always be a fan. He was always very nice to me. And he was nice to Nicky, even though he cried when he held him lol

Also on the plus side is Ricky likes dogs. Seriously.

As has been said before, now that he is off the team, I like him.
                      The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

Comment

From Sunday's Newsday (subscription required I think)

http://www.newsday.com/sports/media/...tar-1.10828401

Rick DiPietro turns from often-injured Islander to radio star

Rick DiPietro will not be playing professional hockey anymore, barring a dramatic medical advance.

As he put it, "Unless they develop some kind of bionic leg that I can get put on and try to get back on the ice."

But at 33, the former Islanders goaltender appears to have found his post-NHL calling, something he "stumbled into" and as recently as Labor Day week 2014 still was little more than a lark.

Now it's real, this Labor Day week more than ever.

After a year working mostly nights for ESPN New York radio, the team of DiPietro and Alan Hahn began Tuesday as the station's regular midday team from noon to 3 p.m.
                        "It's a scary world, and at my age, at only 33 and not able to play hockey anymore, it's like, what do I do with my life?" he said. "You're used to making a certain amount of money and doing a certain amount of work and you get to the real world and it's 'where are you going to make that money?' You're not.

"You have to find something you love doing. Luckily for me, Alan dragged me out of the house and brought me in the radio studio with him, and I couldn't be happier with how it's turned out so far."

Comment

Working...
                        X