Islanders General topics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islanders General topics

Hey guys I wasn't sure where to put the post I'm about to make so I made this thread. More than once I have wanted to make a general post about the Isles but it just didn't fit with any particular thread. So that is basically what I am putting in here.

About 10 to 15 games ago I decided to give myself a challenge and figure out why we have such bad 2nd periods. I put 100% of my focus in to 2nd periods especially when we were getting trapped in our own end. Even after the game I would go back to the tape to analyze what was getting us in to so much trouble. It was pretty eye opening to me. You may or may not agree with my theories but here is what I have come up with.

This first point to me is very prominent. When playing in the 2nd period we want to take the same length of shifts that we do in the 1st and 3rd. Many, many times I have seen our guys going back in to our end to defend when they still have about 50% of their energy left. Many times they have had the opportunity to make a change but they don't because they still feel good still having 50% of their energy left. The problem happens as soon as we get trapped that 50% depletes in a hurry as we are chasing the opposition around. Then we are in trouble!

I have actually come to the conclusion that this is by design by our opposition. I have seen more than one team do this to us. First off every team in the NHL knows what the Islanders are going to do. They know the Isles will give you the outside but not the inside. So with this knowledge they just start circling the entire zone by either skating it or passing it. Now Isles player are doing a ton of chasing and starts and stops which really zaps the energy. They do this a few times and then they start cycling their guys off for a change and as they hit the blueline they do the little drop pass to the dman and are now basically 10 feet from their bench. Boom fresh guy on the ice. They do this until they pretty much have changed the entire line.

Now by this point knowing the Isles won't leave their inside pentagon and probably now can't because their energy level is at zero. So here we are! Our guys with no energy and the new guys at 90%. It is now a piece of cake to get inside on the Isles.

I know myself as a player when I was at 50% energy level. So they have no excuse not know how quickly that last 50% can evaporate. Oh ya the last 50% depletes at a much faster rate than the 1st 50% does.

Occasionally and what I mean is rarely the Isles will do this to other teams. Not often! But in most of our games we are getting caught with dead skaters 4 to 5 times in the 2nd period which you simply just can't do!

Another one and I have brought this up in the GDT's is that every single dman uses that pin the puck to the boards and reverse. They are doing this when they have an easy out by just keep skating! So once again we are getting pinned in our end. This point applies to all 3 periods. When it works it looks great however it is only working about maybe 1 out of 4 times. Once again the other teams know we are going to do this! So they play it accordingly.

So I'm not sure if you agree or disagree with my conclusions. But for my deep dive in to this ............ well it is what I came up with???????????
    THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Interesting observations TK. I will have to look out for it. It may make a lot of sense especially considering the longer distance change.

The one thing I noticed was particularly in the Caps game, they spread their points very high in the zone, closest to the blue line and far apart from each other. Then they work it to the points and since the Islanders play so tight and low within the defensive zone, it takes forever for the forwards to get out to the points, it opens things up and the puck just gets passed around the zone at ease. I'm wondering if the Islanders need to adjust the top 2 forwards in the zone to playing a little higher to counter this.

Comment

Great observation TK about how the distance between the bench and D zone are a factor used by the opposition.

Comment

TK for coach!!!

Comment

Is this something that happens when you play only in your division and play each team so many times? In a normal season there is no time for deep dive scouting. When you are only playing 7 other teams it is more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by gazaroog View Post
            Interesting observations TK. I will have to look out for it. It may make a lot of sense especially considering the longer distance change.

The one thing I noticed was particularly in the Caps game, they spread their points very high in the zone, closest to the blue line and far apart from each other. Then they work it to the points and since the Islanders play so tight and low within the defensive zone, it takes forever for the forwards to get out to the points, it opens things up and the puck just gets passed around the zone at ease. I'm wondering if the Islanders need to adjust the top 2 forwards in the zone to playing a little higher to counter this.
            This is bang on George. In our system when the puck goes to the dman you charge out at him. As soon as he pass the puck back our guy goes. They are doing nothing more than a start and stop drill. As you know doing starts and stops is one of the most energy draining drills. Eventually we can't even get out to the dman and that is when we are in trouble.

After watching this for about 15 games I really don't think this is by coincidence. I believe it is actually by design.
            Last edited by TK27; 04-29-2021, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Justshoot2003 View Post
              Great observation TK about how the distance between the bench and D zone are a factor used by the opposition.
              Absolutely!!!! however it all starts with how they tire us out. Knowing we will give them the outside. Then they just cycle one player at a time off the ice. Don't forget the door is right at the blueline if not actually in the defending zone.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyD View Post
                TK for coach!!!
                Ha I'll take assistant to Barry

Comment

Originally posted by mw147 View Post
                  Is this something that happens when you play only in your division and play each team so many times? In a normal season there is no time for deep dive scouting. When you are only playing 7 other teams it is more likely.
                  I'm guessing that would be correct. However for teams that haven't played us there is plenty of tape to realize why the Isles struggle so much in the 2nd periods. One of the biggest problems of this which I kind of glazed over is the chance to change quicker in the 2nd.

I have even seen times where we have got the puck out to center ice. One player sort of goes after him and when he reaches him at the center line the guy just passes the puck up. There is an opportunity for that one guy to just keep going and get a change. But as a hockey player I know it is drilled in their heads to get back to defend. So he skates back in to our end like he has 50 pound weights on each of his legs. So when he gets back there and just stands in one spot. Being about as effective as a player who has lost their stick.

If the guy had carried on the new player would probably arrive at his spot maybe 1 second later but would have 100% energy. Some times it only takes one player with energy to break it all up.

One other thing I forgot to mention in the original post was sometimes we do get the puck and try a short little soft saucer pass over the oppositions stick to our guy for the break out. Not sure if anyone has noticed but everyone is starting to master batting those down with their sticks. We try and make that play when exhausted.

I know a guy like Mayfield takes flak for his icings but there are times you just need to drill that puck down the ice and take the icing!!!!!! Nothing worse that dead tired players trying to make plays.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by TK27 View Post

This is bang on George. In our system when the puck goes to the dman you charge out at him. As soon as he pass the puck back our guy goes. They are doing nothing more than a start and stop drill. As you know doing starts and stops is one of the most energy draining drills. Eventually we can't even get out to the dman and that is when we are in trouble.

After watching this for about 15 games I really don't think this is by coincidence. I believe it is actually by design.
                    I watched the highlights of the Caps game to see if that was happening after I wrote about this. And sure enough, it was exactly what they were doing. And once the point man would get the puck and the winger would "pop out" to him, the point man would just pass the puck to the other point man who was on the far other side of the blue line. It worked really well for the Caps.

Mark said it, and he is absolutely right. When you only play a handful of teams, you have more time to scout them and figure out ways to break down their systems. Add in that the Caps know Trotz system well, it's why the Caps have played well against the Islanders in the last several games.

It's funny, when I get my players to line up on the goal line and I yell "starts and stops" from goal line to goal line. They all sigh. They are all hunched over and ready to puke after.

Comment

Originally posted by gazaroog View Post

I watched the highlights of the Caps game to see if that was happening after I wrote about this. And sure enough, it was exactly what they were doing. And once the point man would get the puck and the winger would "pop out" to him, the point man would just pass the puck to the other point man who was on the far other side of the blue line. It worked really well for the Caps.

Mark said it, and he is absolutely right. When you only play a handful of teams, you have more time to scout them and figure out ways to break down their systems. Add in that the Caps know Trotz system well, it's why the Caps have played well against the Islanders in the last several games.

It's funny, when I get my players to line up on the goal line and I yell "starts and stops" from goal line to goal line. They all sigh. They are all hunched over and ready to puke after.
                      I'm glad you went and took a look at it and saw what I saw. You even explained it better to what they were doing with the dmen. And I feel the same way as your players do! I hated start stop drills lol

Comment

Well I for one noticed a huge difference in the Islanders play in these last 2 games. You all know I have been bitching about that pin the boards and reverse play. For the last 10 games before this I saw the Islanders trying this move 10 to 15 times a game.

So this time I decided to actually count how many we did and how many got us pinned. Combined in the last 2 games we tried that move........get this....only once! And that one time resulted in a excellent scoring chance for the Rangers. Not surprised we weren't getting hemmed in anymore in these 2 games.

Looks like I'm not the only person who noticed this and I have a feeling his name rhymes with mine.....Terry.....now who could that be?

Comment

Originally posted by TK27 View Post
                          Well I for one noticed a huge difference in the Islanders play in these last 2 games. You all know I have been bitching about that pin the boards and reverse play. For the last 10 games before this I saw the Islanders trying this move 10 to 15 times a game.

So this time I decided to actually count how many we did and how many got us pinned. Combined in the last 2 games we tried that move........get this....only once! And that one time resulted in a excellent scoring chance for the Rangers. Not surprised we weren't getting hemmed in anymore in these 2 games.

Looks like I'm not the only person who noticed this and I have a feeling his name rhymes with mine.....Terry.....now who could that be?
                          Berry?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyD View Post

Berry?
                            LMAO!

Comment

If I was going to be a twin my parents told me the other would have been Barry lol. Of course I would have been the Terry and the other dude would have been the Barry lol

Comment

Working...
                              X