Birth of a Dynasty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth of a Dynasty

The 1980 New York Islanders, by Alan Hahn. I just ordered this book, got very nice reviews. Some said they couldn’t put it down. Only supposed to be 180 pages I believe. Just wondering if anyone read it.

Originally posted by ISLESfan17202 View Post
    The 1980 New York Islanders, by Alan Hahn. I just ordered this book, got very nice reviews. Some said they couldn’t put it down. Only supposed to be 180 pages I believe. Just wondering if anyone read it.
    Never read it. Give us a review when you're done if you don't mind.
    "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

Comment

Ok, I will. It is due to arrive sometime around the 5th.

Comment

The book arrived two days ago and being a short book, I had no time getting through it. Like Denis Potvin said, “ Flat out, we’re the best that there ever was.” I learned some things, it was a good book and I don’t know how it compares with “Fish Sticks,” but I recall somebody saying that they could have thrown that book against the wall when they were done reading it. Sounds fairly aggressive. But this starts out with some years struggling and also 1977, ‘78 and ‘79. But then came 1980, 1981, 1982 and 1983. I also never knew that Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum was a dream of the political leaders of Nassau County, 40 minutes west of Manhattan. Nassau laid claim to land left abandoned by the U.S. Air Force, which once used the site as an air base known as Mitchel Field. The book has eight pages of photos and was originally copyright 2004 but was revised in 2017. I think it would be interesting for any hockey fan and not just an Islander’s fan. There is a foreword by Bob Nystrom who played fourteen seasons for the Islanders.
        I ordered it from Amazon, new, and with shipping and tax came to $22.00. It took about a week to arrive.
        Last edited by ISLESfan17202; 06-05-2019, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ISLESfan17202 View Post
          The book arrived two days ago and being a short book, I had no time getting through it. Like Denis Potvin said, “ Flat out, we’re the best that there ever was.” I learned some things, it was a good book and I don’t know how it compares with “Fish Sticks,” but I recall somebody saying that they could have thrown that book against the wall when they were done reading it. Sounds fairly aggressive. But this starts out with some years struggling and also 1977, ‘78 and ‘79. But then came 1980, 1981, 1982 and 1983. I also never knew that Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum was a dream of the political leaders of Nassau County, 40 minutes west of Manhattan. Nassau laid claim to land left abandoned by the U.S. Air Force, which once used the site as an air base known as Mitchel Field. The book has eight pages of photos and was originally copyright 2004 but was revised in 2017. I think it would be interesting for any hockey fan and not just an Islander’s fan. There is a foreword by Bob Nystrom who played fourteen seasons for the Islanders.
          I ordered it from Amazon, new, and with shipping and tax came to $22.00. It took about a week to arrive.
          I never read "Fish Sticks". It would probably aggravate me. I always felt that since it didn't touch on the Wang years, it only told half of the story of misery we fans had to endure.
          "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

Comment

Working...
          X