Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Off Season - it will be interesting!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2019 Off Season - it will be interesting!

    The 2018-19 season was surprising, fun, and satisfying, with a disappointing end.

    The off season will be eventful. 7 free agents. Who stays, who goes? What free agents can we bring in? What trades can be made?

    What will this team look like in September? We have 4 months until we find out.
    “Individual players win games, but teams win championships"

  • #2
    Originally posted by mw147 View Post
    The 2018-19 season was surprising, fun, and satisfying, with a disappointing end.

    The off season will be eventful. 7 free agents. Who stays, who goes? What free agents can we bring in? What trades can be made?

    What will this team look like in September? We have 4 months until we find out.
    First off, for the first time in a VERY LONG TIME , we have professional running the organization. With that said. they don't want to lose, there agenda is to win , so I go into this offseason for the first time in many years with a positive outlook. Would not surprise me in the least after the exit interviews are done, starting next week Lou has his blue print for next years team. Plan A, Plan B, and if needed Plan C. He's not Garth, Trotz's is not Jack or Doug. Positive change will occur. Lou didn't come here to lose, and his time line for winning is NOT for ever. He already took a team with very low expectations and made them better. The team has a coach with a system, now this year, we take the next step. For once we do need to have patience and wait for this season to end and for a plan to take shape. Who's leaving and who's staying, beats me, but as time goes on we will have a clue and for should have some healthy discussions on it.

    Comment


    • #3
      As for the free agents I want back, it's pretty much just Lee and Lehner. I take Eberle if nothing else develops because he looked much better back with Barzal.

      As Staple said, Leddy needs to be shipped out for help. I would also trade the 1st and maybe one of the d in Bridgeport for something. Hopefully that can bring us two forwards with one being a 2nd line center.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 31GOALIE31 View Post

        First off, for the first time in a VERY LONG TIME , we have professional running the organization. With that said. they don't want to lose, there agenda is to win , so I go into this offseason for the first time in many years with a positive outlook. Would not surprise me in the least after the exit interviews are done, starting next week Lou has his blue print for next years team. Plan A, Plan B, and if needed Plan C. He's not Garth, Trotz's is not Jack or Doug. Positive change will occur. Lou didn't come here to lose, and his time line for winning is NOT for ever. He already took a team with very low expectations and made them better. The team has a coach with a system, now this year, we take the next step. For once we do need to have patience and wait for this season to end and for a plan to take shape. Who's leaving and who's staying, beats me, but as time goes on we will have a clue and for should have some healthy discussions on it.
        My biggest fear is a huge turn over like we made which was great. Will still no matter what take more time than one year to get the stench that this franchise has on it from an outside players POV. I'm hoping we have things happen but at the beginning to make things happen. Lou will have to end up doing it via the trade route.
        THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TK27 View Post

          My biggest fear is a huge turn over like we made which was great. Will still no matter what take more time than one year to get the stench that this franchise has on it from an outside players POV. I'm hoping we have things happen but at the beginning to make things happen. Lou will have to end up doing it via the trade route.
          Maybe, but think of it this way. We got burned by the biggest POS player in a long while and came together to sweep a top tier team in round 1. I have to believe that has to make some upcoming UFAs think, 'Man, this is a group of guys I want to join." What other team faced the adversity we did to start this season and got.to where we got? Heck what team in the last decade did that? None.

          Yeah, the arena situation sucks, but who wouldn't want to play half their games at the Coliseum? If I'm Lou, I re-sign Lehner tomorrow and make him the point person for influencing other players why playing for us is the best opportunity they could ever have.

          Comment


          • #6
            We still think that the team is focused on winning in 2021 - with a bunch of new tickets to sell - the Islanders were a little ahead of schedule in getting to the promised land of the playoffs (falling short of the holy grail itself)

            The KREW thinks this team is seeking to incrementally improve itself - and as say contrasting to CBJ ( putting all chips in on this year) we are looking to build a team who will be a sustained playoff team for 10 years. Which is hard to do.

            We will save for another day - a deeper dive analysis. We just wanted to get to EMOJI TIME here !

            Comment


            • #7
              Last night was a disturbingly gutless performance and made it crystal clear there are large swathes of Snow-era country club remnants to be cleared out.

              Brock Nelson: Gone - do not sign, try to forget as quickly as possible.
              Beau: Trade
              Eberle: Sign for the right price only. Any bidding war ends the discussion.
              Josh Bailey: Trade
              Hickey: Adios
              Leddy: Trade
              Flip: Adios
              Anders Lee: This is the big one that I am on the fence about. His playoff performance was bad, but they did make him Captain. Right now I say sign.
              Lehner: Sign - but be careful with term and think this through. Great year but a guy with potentially dangerous baggage.

              Bring up the kids - all of them: Bellows, Dobson, Wahlstrom.

              So, Nelson, Beau, Bailey, Hickey, Leddy, Flip - OUT
              Sign Lee and Lehner, try on Eberle but assume he leaves.
              Bring up: Bellows, Wahlstrom, Dobson

              All the above an accomplished fact, our needs through trades and UFA are clearly a second and 3rd/ 4th line center, plus a pure goal scoring forward.

              Blitz Skinner day one of UFA - he can be signed quickly with the right offer.

              Throw offers at Panarin and Duchene but assume they sign elsewhere.

              Address the center position through trades - we have assets to be used.

              Team goes into camp with the gutless core ripped out and replaced by kids, UFA talent and upgrades through trades. This time, the kids will be molded by Trotz and Lou, not a succession of morons and fraudsters.
              The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

              Comment


              • #8
                Boss, normally we are on the same page, but I see things very differently.

                While last night was disappointing, I don't think the team was gutless. There is still work to do but the culture that Lou talked about last summer was very much changed this season. The country club mentality is dead and will not return with Barry Trotz behind the bench.

                I still might not re-sign Brock, depending on how the off season plays out, but I liked what I saw from him this year. He showed more intensity and hustle than I have ever seen from him. If we can add a top line wing like Panarin or Skinner, I would be willing to bring Brock back. Outside of Duchene there is no one better in free agency and who knows what will be available to trade for, and what it will cost.

                As for the kids:
                Bellows may never be any better than dal Colle. Maybe he will be, but not yet.
                I was very encouraged by Wahlstrom but he likely needs at least a half season at Bridgeport. It is amazing how bad he was at BC and how different he was at Bridgeport. Clearly BC was a disaster this year and it is very hard for an 18 year old freshman to push through that. He may not need a full season in the AHL to be ready. Very encouraging.
                I still hate that rule that says Dobson is with the Isles or goes back to juniors next year. But that is the rule, so likely he goes back to juniors. Same for Bode Wilde.
                You did not mention him but from everything I read Koivula is not ready for the NHL. Like Wahlstrom he may not need a full season back in the AHL, but he probably needs more time before he is ready for the NHL.
                Between all of these guys we could eventually have what we need to fill all of our holes. But almost certainly not for next season, unfortunately.

                I would trade Bailey but I doubt it happens.
                I would consider Filppula on another 1 year deal as the 3rd line center. I like his game and he was part of the culture change.
                Of course I am resigning Lee, I would like to give him 5 years, but Lou might have to give in to 6 years. He is probably worth about $6 million but I go to $6.5
                I am also signing Lehner. Is there any doubt he takes a home team discount? 4 years at $4.5 per year.
                I likely let Eberle go, but if we can bring in Duchene I would let Brock go and try to re-sign Eberle. 5 years, $6 million.
                I keep Hickey as the #7. You don't generally get a better #7 than him.

                My chief trade chip is Leddy. Hopefully he can be the center of a trade to bring back some of the scoring punch we need up front. I don't know who will be available, there are always available players that no one thought of. But names like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Mike Hoffman (as long as he leaves the girlfriend behind) come to mind.

                Beau was a disappointment, I would include him in a trade but I am not ready to give up on him. He would have to bring back value to be traded.

                If we can trade Leddy I don't add anything to the blue line. I give first shot to our Sebastian Aho, who from what I read should be ready for the NHL. That makes the blue line
                Pulock-Pelech
                Toews-Mayfield
                Boychuk-Aho
                Hickey
                Our top 4 is young and all took steps forward this year, and I think there is more there for Trotz to get from them.
                Aho playing with a veteran like Boychuk is the perfect way to break in.

                If Garth were still in charge I would feel differently. I know not everyone agrees but as we sit here today I have confidence that Lou will make necessary changes.
                “Individual players win games, but teams win championships"

                Comment


                • #9
                  We are in the ballpark on most besides Brock. This guy is soft, gutless puke that is just not who I want in that spot. Massive upgrade - RNH is a PERFECT idea.

                  Cannot just shuffle the deck up front. Gut it.
                  Last edited by Bossy573; 2 weeks ago.
                  The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mw147 View Post
                    Boss, normally we are on the same page, but I see things very differently.

                    While last night was disappointing, I don't think the team was gutless. There is still work to do but the culture that Lou talked about last summer was very much changed this season. The country club mentality is dead and will not return with Barry Trotz behind the bench.

                    I still might not re-sign Brock, depending on how the off season plays out, but I liked what I saw from him this year. He showed more intensity and hustle than I have ever seen from him. If we can add a top line wing like Panarin or Skinner, I would be willing to bring Brock back. Outside of Duchene there is no one better in free agency and who knows what will be available to trade for, and what it will cost.

                    As for the kids:
                    Bellows may never be any better than dal Colle. Maybe he will be, but not yet.
                    I was very encouraged by Wahlstrom but he likely needs at least a half season at Bridgeport. It is amazing how bad he was at BC and how different he was at Bridgeport. Clearly BC was a disaster this year and it is very hard for an 18 year old freshman to push through that. He may not need a full season in the AHL to be ready. Very encouraging.
                    I still hate that rule that says Dobson is with the Isles or goes back to juniors next year. But that is the rule, so likely he goes back to juniors. Same for Bode Wilde.
                    You did not mention him but from everything I read Koivula is not ready for the NHL. Like Wahlstrom he may not need a full season back in the AHL, but he probably needs more time before he is ready for the NHL.
                    Between all of these guys we could eventually have what we need to fill all of our holes. But almost certainly not for next season, unfortunately.

                    I would trade Bailey but I doubt it happens.
                    I would consider Filppula on another 1 year deal as the 3rd line center. I like his game and he was part of the culture change.
                    Of course I am resigning Lee, I would like to give him 5 years, but Lou might have to give in to 6 years. He is probably worth about $6 million but I go to $6.5
                    I am also signing Lehner. Is there any doubt he takes a home team discount? 4 years at $4.5 per year.
                    I likely let Eberle go, but if we can bring in Duchene I would let Brock go and try to re-sign Eberle. 5 years, $6 million.
                    I keep Hickey as the #7. You don't generally get a better #7 than him.

                    My chief trade chip is Leddy. Hopefully he can be the center of a trade to bring back some of the scoring punch we need up front. I don't know who will be available, there are always available players that no one thought of. But names like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Mike Hoffman (as long as he leaves the girlfriend behind) come to mind.

                    Beau was a disappointment, I would include him in a trade but I am not ready to give up on him. He would have to bring back value to be traded.

                    If we can trade Leddy I don't add anything to the blue line. I give first shot to our Sebastian Aho, who from what I read should be ready for the NHL. That makes the blue line
                    Pulock-Pelech
                    Toews-Mayfield
                    Boychuk-Aho
                    Hickey
                    Our top 4 is young and all took steps forward this year, and I think there is more there for Trotz to get from them.
                    Aho playing with a veteran like Boychuk is the perfect way to break in.

                    If Garth were still in charge I would feel differently. I know not everyone agrees but as we sit here today I have confidence that Lou will make necessary changes.
                    I'd be very, very careful on the term for Lee. His type of player typically falls off very hard when all of the punishment they take in front of the net begins to take its toll.

                    Lehner is a no brainer.

                    It is absolutely imperative that we sign at least one of Panarin, Duchene, or Skinner.

                    If we sign only one of the above, we need to think about signing Nyqvist and/or Zucharello.

                    If Lou makes a trade, I assume he buys low on someone who is not on our radar.

                    Are you sure that one of Dobson or Wilde will not be ready?

                    Now that the anger and disappointment of being swept by a team of no names is starting to fade, I am hopeful and optimistic about the organization. It's only a decent portion of the fanbase that pisses me off. Can't wait for the first post-season dinner. And if it's not us, I really don't care who wins the Cup among the remaining teams.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bossy573 View Post
                      We are in the ballpark on most besides Brock. This guy is soft, gutless puke that is just not who I want in that spot. Massive upgrade - RNH is a PERFECT idea.

                      Cannot just shuffle the deck up front. Gut it.
                      I think the answer is somewhere in between gut it and shuffle the deck.

                      Shuffle the deck is not going to cut it. But I just don't think I it is necessary to totally gut it, either.
                      Sign Panarin or Skinner (easier said than done but go with it).
                      Trade Leddy for RNH.
                      Re-sign Lee, Lehner, and Filppula.
                      Go.

                      “Individual players win games, but teams win championships"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mrlbem View Post

                        I'd be very, very careful on the term for Lee. His type of player typically falls off very hard when all of the punishment they take in front of the net begins to take its toll.

                        Lehner is a no brainer.

                        It is absolutely imperative that we sign at least one of Panarin, Duchene, or Skinner.

                        If we sign only one of the above, we need to think about signing Nyqvist and/or Zucharello.

                        If Lou makes a trade, I assume he buys low on someone who is not on our radar.

                        Are you sure that one of Dobson or Wilde will not be ready?

                        Now that the anger and disappointment of being swept by a team of no names is starting to fade, I am hopeful and optimistic about the organization. It's only a decent portion of the fanbase that pisses me off. Can't wait for the first post-season dinner. And if it's not us, I really don't care who wins the Cup among the remaining teams.
                        In regard to Lee I agree which is why I would want to go for 5 years. I just think that may not get it done and 6 years might just he the cost of doing business.

                        As for Dobson and Wilde I'm not sure neither will be ready. But because of that stupid and arbitrary rule I think it is likely they both are back in juniors again.

                        I'm with you on a portion of the fan base. Stay off Twitter!
                        “Individual players win games, but teams win championships"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bossy573 View Post
                          We are in the ballpark on most besides Brock. This guy is soft, gutless puke that is just not who I want in that spot. Massive upgrade - RNH is a PERFECT idea.

                          Cannot just shuffle the deck up front. Gut it.
                          It's too bad Chia is gone. I bet we could get RNH cheap like for Beau straight up if he was still there.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mrlbem View Post

                            I'd be very, very careful on the term for Lee. His type of player typically falls off very hard when all of the punishment they take in front of the net begins to take its toll.

                            Lehner is a no brainer.

                            It is absolutely imperative that we sign at least one of Panarin, Duchene, or Skinner.

                            If we sign only one of the above, we need to think about signing Nyqvist and/or Zucharello.

                            If Lou makes a trade, I assume he buys low on someone who is not on our radar.

                            Are you sure that one of Dobson or Wilde will not be ready?

                            Now that the anger and disappointment of being swept by a team of no names is starting to fade, I am hopeful and optimistic about the organization. It's only a decent portion of the fanbase that pisses me off. Can't wait for the first post-season dinner. And if it's not us, I really don't care who wins the Cup among the remaining teams.
                            It's not about whether Dobson or Wilde might be ready, it's that Lou won't put them on the roster without at least a year in Bridgeport. So relying on the for anything is a fool's errand.

                            One benefit with Lee is that he hasn't been in the league as long as some people to be beaten around. I can him having a good 4 or 5 years left at the minimum.

                            Zuc is an intriguing idea but I doubt Nyquist wants to come to us. It was clear at the deadline he only wanted to go to one team and it wasn't us.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FranzyFan View Post

                              It's not about whether Dobson or Wilde might be ready, it's that Lou won't put them on the roster without at least a year in Bridgeport. So relying on the for anything is a fool's errand.
                              Most of the time that is the correct attitude.

                              It's too bad that next year can't be their AHL year. It would probably do them more good than another season in juniors. But no, we have to protect the junior leagues!
                              “Individual players win games, but teams win championships"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X