Barclays Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TK27 View Post
    So if the world thinks the Isles playing in 2 different arenas is bad. How would you feel if the Isles played half their home games in a different country? lol
    The Rays plight to build a new stadium rivals our own and the local government is just as inept. St. Petersburg is a terrible place for a stadium. If you draw a circle on a map around St. Petersburg going 100 miles out, you have more water than you do land. Where's your fan base?
    "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1274.gif Views:	6 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	131233
      Originally posted by Tjay View Post

The Rays plight to build a new stadium rivals our own and the local government is just as inept. St. Petersburg is a terrible place for a stadium. If you draw a circle on a map around St. Petersburg going 100 miles out, you have more water than you do land. Where's your fan base?
      Here's your fanbase

Comment

• Originally posted by TK27 View Post
        So if the world thinks the Isles playing in 2 different arenas is bad. How would you feel if the Isles played half their home games in a different country? lol
        Tampa Bays Rays to Montreal rumor has been in Canada for almost a decade now, as you may already know. I think Rays end up in Montreal by 2030 as Expos 2. It's sad that MLB has ultimately failed in St.Petersburg and Tampa areas. I heard there are many transplants in the area, but they cheer for their home town teams, and presumably only show up when their home teams are in Tropicana. Back in August of 2009, Yankees TV play by play man Michael Kay once said about Rays, what is the point of spending money when no one shows up?

Comment

• Originally posted by gear316 View Post

Tampa Bays Rays to Montreal rumor has been in Canada for almost a decade now, as you may already know. I think Rays end up in Montreal by 2030 as Expos 2. It's sad that MLB has ultimately failed in St.Petersburg and Tampa areas. I heard there are many transplants in the area, but they cheer for their home town teams, and presumably only show up when their home teams are in Tropicana. Back in August of 2009, Yankees TV play by play man Michael Kay once said about Rays, what is the point of spending money when no one shows up?
          IMHO the problem is MLB itself. The Bolts and Bucs draw just fine.
          The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bossy573 View Post

I wonder if the Bolts and Bucs stadium being in Tampa city limits improve their ability to draw better than Rays, who play outside Tampa. I understand it's a different situation to the Isles, who have to deal with Rangers deeper the team goes into NYC limits.

Comment

No, the problem is the Yankees have their spring training in Tampa going back almost forever. When I would go visit my sister in college, half the bars were Yankee bars. Imagine how bad the Isles' fanbase would have been if we didn't have a winning team quickly and the Rags didn't suck for decades. That's basically what Tampa is up against.

Comment

• Originally posted by FranzyFan View Post

No, the problem is the Yankees have their spring training in Tampa going back almost forever. When I would go visit my sister in college, half the bars were Yankee bars. Imagine how bad the Isles' fanbase would have been if we didn't have a winning team quickly and the Rags didn't suck for decades. That's basically what Tampa is up against.
                I felt despite Tampa having Yankees single A affiliate, Rays would be more popular, since it's still an MLB team. But if Yankees are bigger in Tampa Bay area, that's actually disgusting.
                Last edited by gear316; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by FranzyFan View Post

I actually remember when the Yanks trained in Ft. Lauderdale. I am guessing they moved to Tampa in the 90s, but it could have been the 80s. Either way they do pre-date the Rays existence in Tampa. But still, you would think the local team would be the better draw. I don't quite get why they can't draw flies there, even when the team is good.
                  “Individual players win games, but teams win championships"

Comment

It is such a mystery to me how Florida MLB teams don't draw well. Florida is probably the biggest hotbed in the country for producing baseball players.

Comment

• The Krew's theories are:

* lack of a convienient facility does not help. we have never been - but is it fair to say building location and dreariness lends to lack of attendance?

* Spring Training sucks up a lot of energy . The whole state is covered and one would guess that many residents of Lakeland, FL are Tiger fans - many in Clearwater may be Phils fans, etc.

* . Many residents are transplants - and still support their former hometown teams

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaszycki's Krew View Post
                        The Krew's theories are:

* lack of a convienient facility does not help. we have never been - but is it fair to say building location and dreariness lends to lack of attendance?

* Spring Training sucks up a lot of energy . The whole state is covered and one would guess that many residents of Lakeland, FL are Tiger fans - many in Clearwater may be Phils fans, etc.

* . Many residents are transplants - and still support their former hometown teams
                        That reminded me I did a lot of Phil's stuff down there in the Tampa area. Felt nice being a Phillies fan.

As for the Marlins, their ownership rivals ours for it's historical awfulness.

Comment

Working...
                        X