Power Rankings/Standings/General Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Rankings/Standings/General Analysis

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings...on/2016/week/4 Power Rankings: Everyone's chasing the Habs

Big drop for us this week.

11 New York
    6-3-3
    Last Week: 6
    With John Tavares out with illness this weekend, the Isles dropped home games to the Devils and Sabres, which in turn made Islanders fans ill.
    "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

http://thehockeywriters.com/power-ra...ew-number-one/

THW Power Rankings: A New Number One As teams get set to cross the quarter pole of the 2015-16 NHL season, it’s still pretty tough to separate the true contenders from the pretenders. Teams that got off to hot starts like the Winnipeg Jets have faltered, while teams that started slow have — Anaheim Ducks and Pittsburgh Penguins– have started to rise up the standings.
    The Montreal Canadiens are dealing with the loss of Carey Price, leaving rookie Mike Condon to shoulder the load in net. While he’s done an admirable job so far, one has to wonder if he can keep it up for the foreseeable future. On the opposite side of things, the Columbus Blue Jackets continue to have the worst record in the league, but the level of play since John Tortorella took over has been much better than the first nine games of the year.
    At The Hockey Writers, we look at schedule strength, weekly records, goal differential and more to determine the rankings. In addition, we poll the various writers of the website for their rankings and take those votes into consideration as well. So, without further adieu, it’s The Hockey Writers’ weekly power rankings.

*Note: The records are accurate as of the morning of 11/15*
    9-6-3
    Since their 6-2-1 start, the Islanders are 3-4-2. In each of those four losses, the team has managed just one goal for.
    I am not sure I see how the Isles drop to 12 from 8 based on last week's game, when we won 2 of 3 on the west coast. Still no respect!

Comment

http://www.tsn.ca/stars-stay-on-top-...kings-1.405634

Stars stay on top of the NHL Power Rankings

The Dallas Stars remain the top team in the TSN.ca NHL Power Rankings, ahead of the surging Washington Capitals and the Montreal Canadiens.
      Among teams climbing this week, the Minnesota Wild locked down defensively, and jumped from 14 to 11, the Tampa Bay Lightning get Tyler Johnson back and win a couple of California to move from 18 to 14, and the Winnipeg Jets rise from 22 to 17, thanks in part to a rookie goaltender.
      Heading the wrong way, the Nashville Predators are slumping and slide from eight to 12, while the San Jose Sharks crash from 12 to 19 after losing three straight, by a cumulative six-goal margin.
      When it comes to the other Canadian teams, the Ottawa Senators are up a couple of places to 13, and then there are four hovering right near the bottom. The Edmonton Oilers are up three, to 26, while the Vancouver Canucks, winless in five, fall seven spots to 27. The Toronto Maple Leafs are down two, to 28, and the Calgary Flames hold steady, at 30.

New York Islanders

15-8-5 This Week: 9 Last Week: 10

TEAM STATS

• GPG
      • GAPG
      • S.A. CORSI%
        50.5%
      • PP%
        20.0%
      • PK%
        85.0%
      Seven straight games without a regulation loss for the Islanders, who may be trying to navigate the Travis Hamonic trade waters, or they're just continuing to play him big minutes, nearly 24 minutes per game since the beginning of November.
      Key Injuries: None.

Comment

Sorry we are not in this top 5 ranking.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/12/25/merry-christmas-here-are-the-five-best-teams-in-the-nhl/

Merry Christmas! Here are the five best teams in the NHL

PHT is spending Christmas listing the best teams, the most disappointing teams, and making our mid-season awards picks. Because what better day than Christmas to infuriate readers with our opinions!
        1. Washington Capitals
        Let’s just say I’m feeling pretty good aboutpicking these guys to win the Stanley Cup.

Comment

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/12/25/...y%2Carticle%5D

Merry Christmas! Here are the five most disappointing teams in the NHL

PHT is spending Christmas listing the best teams, the most disappointing teams, and making our mid-season awards picks. Because what better day than Christmas to infuriate readers with our opinions!
          1. Columbus Blue Jackets

Comment

As poorly as we have played we are #9.

I do like Greiss as our best value player.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/n...value-cap-hit/
            Consider this week’s power rankings the inverse of this article, as we look at players that have no chance of being traded this season because they’re bringing their teams maximum bang per buck.
            Who delivers the most for the least?
            As usual, we rank the NHL’s teams according to their strength right now, but the write-ups zero in on 30 players who are earning much more than their keep — those sneaky value (or entry-level) signings that help offset the bad gambles and long-term blunders in a salary-cap world.
            Enjoy them, club executives, before they start demanding monster raises.
            9 Thomas Greiss ($1.5 million cap hit) is pretty much exactly what you want in a backup goalie. He wins, and he's affordable. In fact, Greiss has a better save percentage and more wins (13) than No. 1 Jaroslav Halak (10) despite seeing fewer starts.
            Previous: 8

Comment

I seriously haven't looked at the standings since forever! I knew we were getting close to a couple teams. Great to see we jumped over 3 teams and none of those teams have any games in hand on us so that is important. Didn't realize now looking up only 1 pt behind the Panthers with us having 2 in hand. We need to get by them now!

The Wings 2 pts ahead of us with us with 1 game in hand. So there are 2 teams in immediate striking distance.

Our short term goal should be to stay ahead of the 3 we just passed and catch the 2 directly in front. Then we can reassess again. We need to keep our head down and just keep winning. And if we don't win we now need loser points when we don't!
              THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

Boy did we ever do the Flyers a favor this last week beating the Pen Rangers and Caps. They have the 3rd spot 2 pts out of first. We helped them jump right in the middle.

Comment

Ok I really wish I hadn't looked at the standings. If you could freeze the league right now and let the Isles play the 5 games in hand on Philly. We would be 1 point out of the last spot and it is not like other teams with games in hand are so close to Philly that they could pass them. Granted the Isles would have to win all 5 but all 5 of them are games in hand!

When it is put in terms like that it is very easy to see how the Isles could get back in the race.

I don't want to have this false allusion hope. I really wished I hadn't looked at the standings!

Comment

Wow 6 teams with 49 points and we are at the top of them. Who would have thunk?

Comment

Originally posted by TK27 View Post
                      Wow 6 teams with 49 points and we are at the top of them. Who would have thunk?
                      Imagine if we had beaten Philly, we'd be past those teams and tied with Philly and Fla. Looking at the standings, Boston is the weak link we are chasing. They have 54 points and we have 5 games in hand. Our destiny is in our own hands.
                      "We’re all buying in. There’s pride about being an Islander.”

Comment

Originally posted by Tjay View Post

Imagine if we had beaten Philly, we'd be past those teams and tied with Philly and Fla. Looking at the standings, Boston is the weak link we are chasing. They have 54 points and we have 5 games in hand. Our destiny is in our own hands.
                        I'm just happy to be involved again. This season was lost by about game 6 just glad to be on track again!

Comment

Not sure where to post this - but - thought you fans might have interest in this.
                          It's hard to ignore the greatness of Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky's point production in NHL history, even after adjusting for different era. But neither are at the top of this list, and there are a few other surprising, old names.

Comment

Is there a link to a tape of the ceremony with the 100 top NHL stars available? I cannot find. Wanted to see that.

Comment

Well the Flyers showed why it is so hard to jump over teams to get to a playoff. They too will upset teams and it makes it hard to catch up. Fortunately we only have 3 teams to jump right now which makes it much easier yet still difficult.

I'm still amazed 6-0-1 was good enough to jump 5 teams but everything just went right for us in that time period. Bottom line we have to TCB and we our games and let the chips fall where they may!

Comment

Working...
                              X