• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pittsburgh Penguins

Season preview from nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=776928

With Kessel, Penguins primed for longer playoff run

The Pittsburgh Penguins' hopes of a deep run in the Stanley Cup Playoffs were undone by an uncharacteristically sluggish offense. General manager Jim Rutherford sought to rectify that during the offseason.
    After seeing several Penguins, including veteran defenseman Paul Martin, sign elsewhere shortly after free agency opened at noon on July 1, Pittsburgh made arguably the day's most explosive move when it acquired Toronto Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel in a trade shortly before 2 p.m.
    After being eliminated in five games by the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference First Round, Rutherford said he would bring in at least one top-six wing, most likely by trade, to help Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.
    "We set out this offseason to add some more skill on the wing, some more speed," Rutherford said. "I certainly think we covered that."
    Rutherford worked later in July to retool a bottom-six group that has been an Achilles heel since the Penguins last won the Stanley Cup in 2009.
    Forward Eric Fehr, who showcased his talent by scoring three goals in four games against the Penguins for the Washington Capitals last season, was signed to a three-year, $6 million contract on July 28.
    On the same day, Rutherford worked with the Vancouver Canucks on a trade that had been discussed since before the 2015 NHL Draft, acquiring forward Nick Bonino, defenseman Adam Clendening and a second-round pick at the 2016 draft from Vancouver for third-line center Brandon Sutter and a 2016 third-round pick.
    "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

Crosby's window has definitely started to close. Sucks for him! Unfortunately for Islander fans it is not totally closed yet.

I see lots of potential and lots of questions here. The 2 biggest questions to me are:
    1. Kris Letang - is he healthy? Can he stay healthy? Even if he does, is he the same player (who was already flawed). To have a good season they need to answer these questions in a positive way.
    2. Phil Kessel - I was intrigued by the thought of bringing him to the Islanders. Very high risk but very high reward. He and JT together could have been holy hell. Well, whether Kessel plays with Crosby or Malkin, the same thing applies. If Kessel stays lazy and out of shape this could spiral out of control quickly. But if he comes in motivated and in top shape this team is going to score a LOT of goals and be next to impossible to stop on the power play.

Comment

I don't like the idea of Kessel on that team. Could be bad news.
      The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

Comment

They still haven't addressed their defense and their offensive depth is non-existent. They will likely make it to the playoffs, but if you are destined to go longer in the playoffs you need defense and depth.

Comment

Originally posted by gazaroog View Post
          They still haven't addressed their defense and their offensive depth is non-existent. They will likely make it to the playoffs, but if you are destined to go longer in the playoffs you need defense and depth.
          If they make the playoffs, it's because Fluery has another year like last season. I am perplexed as to why they kept Johnston. Well happy and perplexed.

Comment

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...id=DL|NHL|home

Penguins' Kessel to start camp playing with Crosby Right wing Phil Kessel will start his first Pittsburgh Penguins training camp with Sidney Crosby as his center, coach Mike Johnston said Tuesday.
            The Penguins acquired Kessel, a five-time 30-goal scorer, in a trade with the Toronto Maple Leafs on July 1. The subject of who Kessel would play with to start the season, Crosby or center Evgeni Malkin, has been a topic of debate and conversation.
            "You'd probably find him starting on the right side with Sid to begin with," Johnston told the Penguins website.
            Johnston said Patric Hornqvist will start training camp, which begins next month, at right wing on a line with Malkin. Johnston said he is unsure who will play left wing on each of the top two lines; the leading candidates are David Perron, Beau Bennett, Chris Kunitz and rookie Sergei Plotnikov.
            Johnston left open the possibility he would use Kessel with Malkin and Hornqvist with Crosby.

Comment

Both Kessel and Crosby like to retain the puck on their stick. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Comment

They still need to stop the other team from scoring. They'll score a ton of goals but their defense really needed to be addressed. I do like the additions of Fehr and Boninno.

Comment

Originally posted by gazaroog View Post
                  Both Kessel and Crosby like to retain the puck on their stick. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.
                  Every time one of them has the puck the other guy will be tapping his stick on the ice calling for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbomb View Post

Every time one of them has the puck the other guy will be tapping his stick on the ice calling for it.

That's exactly what I was thinking to NB. I just don't see it as a match. I think Kessel makes more sense to be with Malkin.

Comment

http://www.tsn.ca/sources-penguins-o...-team-1.354678

Sources: Penguins' owners looking for record $750M for team

The owners of the Pittsburgh Penguins are asking $750 million (U.S.) for the team, but face long odds of finding a buyer who’s willing to pay that much because of the flagging North American economy and uncertainty over the future of the Canadian dollar, sports investment bankers say.

A $750-million transaction price would mark a record for a U.S.-based NHL team, said Drew Dorweiler, a Montreal economist who has been hired by the owners of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks, Manchester United and other sports teams to estimate their franchise values.
                      "We conduct periodic reviews of our business and, because we have received several inquiries about the franchise in recent years, we decided to engage Morgan Stanley for their insight and counsel," Lemieux and Burkle said in a joint statement at the time. "After buying the team out of bankruptcy, ensuring its long-term future in Pittsburgh and creating a strong foundation for continued success, we believe it is time to explore our options."
                      Buh-bye Mario. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Islander fans certainly won't miss you.

Comment

Originally posted by mw147 View Post
                        http://www.tsn.ca/sources-penguins-o...-team-1.354678

Buh-bye Mario. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Islander fans certainly won't miss you.

I guess he really isn't sure he wants to be a part of this league anymore.
                        The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

Comment

Some funny stuff, maybe Islander fans could go partners with them. Thoughts?

http://thehockeywriters.com/flyers-f...-buy-penguins/

Flyers Fans Start GoFundMe to Buy Penguins

Philadelphia fans aren’t the most beloved fans in the world, but when folks from the city of brotherly love aren’t taking scientific demonstrations of the kindness of humanity and decapitating it, it can be entertaining to watch them poke at Pittsburgh fans with a long cheese steak-shaped stick.
                          That’s why we’re enjoying that some intrepid Flyers fans have set up a GoFundMe campaign to purchase the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Pens are interesting in selling a majority share of the team and the asking price is currently set at $750 million, according to reports. That would be a NHL record valuation.
                          However, TSN’s Ken Campbell reports that the team hasn’t even had a nibble at that price. So, it’ll have to come down.
                          That’s good news for these Flyers fans, who, as of this post, have raised $894 toward buying the Pens.

Comment

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/th...urgh-penguins/

THN’s 2015-16 NHL season preview: Pittsburgh Penguins 2014-15 Record: 43-27-12 (98 pts.)
                            THN’s Prediction: 5th, Metropolitan Division
                            What To Expect: A mix of uproar and apathy from Penguins fans after another early playoff departure transformed into renewed optimism when GM Jim Rutherford made the biggest splash of the NHL off-season. The common refrain of “get a winger for Sidney Crosby” was silenced with the acquisition of five-time 30-goal scorer Phil Kessel. And, to the delight of Pens faithful, Pittsburgh didn’t surrender either of its top two prospects – Derrick Pouliot and Olli Maatta – to seal the transaction. It also gets Kessel at a discount after Toronto agreed to retain $1.2 million for each of the seven years left on his pact.

Rutherford also upgraded the bottom six forwards, swapping Nick Bonino in for Brandon Sutter and adding Eric Fehr, Matt Cullen and Sergei Plotnikov in free agency. Rutherford’s off-season shuffling will get the Penguins into the post-season, but they’ll struggle to keep pace in the Metro Division.
                            I think their blue line is paper thin and needs to stay very healthy for them to compete.

And Kessel is an enormous wild card. If is in shape and hungry to succeed, and he and Crosby really have chemistry he could score 50. If not.......who knows?

5th is probably a reasonable prediction.

Comment

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz3rkq2cPLn

Starkey: Johnston will pay if Penguins don't score

Ray Shero sprang to mind the other day, and not just because I figured he was the happiest man in Newark on Saturday watching his former team melt down.
                              Penguins players held a closed-door meeting after their 4-0 loss. Mike Johnston ripped his team's effort. Evgeni Malkin did the same and said players were “mad at each other.” Good stuff, even if Malkin softened his words Monday.
                              But that isn't the main reason I thought of Shero. Rather, in watching these Penguins again look like just another NHL team that can't score, I remembered something Shero said two days after the Boston Bruins swept them three years ago.
                              Shero explained why he had gone to bat for Dan Bylsma, but it was something else he said that echoes. I never had heard the Penguins' mission statement — the ownership mandate — laid out as openly and clearly.
                              “The goal,” Shero said, “is to have a team that can entertain the fans and compete for a Cup.”
                              Notice what he said first: Entertain the fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X