• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbus Blue Jackets

Season preview from nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=776390

Blue Jackets expect boost from Saad, healthy Murray

The Columbus Blue Jackets set out this offseason to improve a defense that, along with an inordinate amount of injuries, derailed their chances of making a return trip to the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Now about six weeks from the start of training camp, nothing has changed among the defense, which ranked 25th in goals allowed (3.02 per game) last season.
    "I'm not concerned at all if we have to start the season with this group," general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said.
    One of the reasons for his optimism is third-year defenseman Ryan Murray, the second pick of the 2012 NHL Draft. Murray, who missed 70 games last season because of injuries, is healthy.
    Kekalainen did upgrade the Blue Jackets offense in the offseason. Columbus acquired Brandon Saad, along with two minor leaguers, in a trade with the Chicago Blackhawks for center Artem Anisimov and forwards Marko Dano, Jeremy Morin, and Corey Tropp.
    "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

They surely can't have the same bad luck with injuries that they had last year. That was brutal. Their season was over before it really started. They got healthy later and were on fire down the stretch. An indicator of things to come? Or house money? Islander fans we well acquainted with house money.

To me the big questions are:
    1. Is Saad a true core player? He was on the first line in Chicago last year but he was the 3rd wheel and did not have that much pressure on him. Now he needs to step up. Will he?
    2. Ryan Murray. Can he stay healthy? If he does how high a level does he play at? The Columbus blue line is suspect and they did not improve it. It seems to me that there is a lot of pressure on Murray. How he handles it will go a long way towards telling the story of their season.

I can see them winning the division. I can also see them missing the playoffs. Tough call.

Comment

Columbus is going to be trouble this year.
      The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

Comment

I'm not sold on their defense. That kid Dano is going to be a stud on Chicago.

Comment

This is the team that scares Kaszycki's Krew the most. The Bob. Ryan Johansen. Foligno. Hartnell is tough. If healthy = a certain playoff team

Comment

Originally posted by Kaszycki's Krew View Post
            This is the team that scares Kaszycki's Krew the most. The Bob. Ryan Johansen. Foligno. Hartnell is tough. If healthy = a certain playoff team
            Except their D is questionable and relying heavily on the oft injured and relatively unproven Ryan Murray. 1 key injury on D and they could be toast.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaszycki's Krew View Post

We may have to institute a new KK/Cool Tony rule in: "You can't refer to yourself in the third person".

Comment

• Islenut
                Islenut commented
                Editing a comment
                They will be improved no question. The first 3 months of last season was a total night mare of injuries. I assume that won't happen again. They always seem to get snake bit one way or the other but all things being equal they are going to be tough to keep out of the playoffs this year.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...s-defense.html

Blue Jackets | Defense under scrutiny

When the Blue Jackets traded for forward Brandon Saad in June, veteran left wing Scott Hartnell likely was pushed into a third-line role for the upcoming season. That’s how deep and talented the Blue Jackets are at forward. Hartnell, who had as many goals (28) last season as Chicago’s Jonathan Toews and Pittsburgh’s Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, can’t crack the top six in Columbus.

Between the skill up front and the presence of goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky, the consensus around the NHL is that the Blue Jackets will return to the Stanley Cup playoffs in 2015-16, maybe even challenge for the Metropolitan Division title.

But there’s one spot on the ice that gives even the optimists pause — the Blue Jackets’ defense.

When training camp opens on Sept. 18, the Blue Jackets’ projected blue-line pairings are Jack Johnson and David Savard, Fedor Tyutin and Ryan Murray, and Kevin Connauton and Dalton Prout, with Cody Goloubef the likely No. 7.

That’s the same group that ended last season in Columbus, although general manager Jarmo Kekalainen tried to make offseason changes, both at the draft and in free agency.
              Blue Jackets are stacked up front and solid in net, but the D is a huge question mark. How they perform will likely tell the story of their season. They are a sexy pick right now, but really looking at the D it could be ugly if things don't break right for them. They could be spending a lot of time in their zone.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...42318411018240

Told #CBJ annual team dinner at majority owner John P. McConnell's home, scheduled for tonight, has been cancelled or postponed.
                Columbus off to another terrible start, but this time they don't have the injury excuse. They could be out of the playoffs before the season really gets going.....again.

Comment

Originally posted by mw147 View Post
                  https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...42318411018240

Columbus off to another terrible start, but this time they don't have the injury excuse. They could be out of the playoffs before the season really gets going.....again.

Good. I'm happy to see John Davidson fail with anything he's involved with.

Comment

Really have to wonder what is going on out there. They may not be as good as pre-season prognostications, but they can hardly be this bad.
                    The object is to win. Not just to compete, but to win.

Comment

Theyre gonna have to find a new home if they keep this up. They're already on the bubble and losing is not tolerated as much there as it is in other markets.

Comment

There defense stinks (not surprising) and Bobrovsky has been bad (surprising). Add them together and that's why they are off to a putrid start. I still don't understand the Wisniewski trade on their part. Wisniewski was far from a great defenseman, but he was without question one of their most legitimate defensemen and it's just really ugly now.

With that said, I don't like the set up of this game going in to the game with the Isles.

Comment

Originally posted by gazaroog View Post
                          There defense stinks (not surprising) and Bobrovsky has been bad (surprising). Add them together and that's why they are off to a putrid start. I still don't understand the Wisniewski trade on their part. Wisniewski was far from a great defenseman, but he was without question one of their most legitimate defensemen and it's just really ugly now.

With that said, I don't like the set up of this game going in to the game with the Isles.
                          I think Wisnieski is injured now though, yes? So I don't think he is even been playing...

but I agree, Gaz, this game has loss written all over it.. lol

Comment

Blue Jackets fire coach Richards, hire Tortorella

Off to the worst start for an NHL team in 18 years, the Columbus Blue Jackets made Todd Richards the first coaching casualty of the young season.
                            Richards, 48, was fired Wednesday morning after Columbus was shutout by the Islanders to slide to an unfathomable 0-7-0. His dismissal, two weeks into a regular season with the highest expectations in franchise history, is the NHL’s quickest since the Flyers canned Peter Laviolette after just three games in 2013.
                            Richards will be replaced by John Tortorella, who has not coached since being fired by the Canucks after the 2013-14 season. Tortorella, 57, is the all-time winningest American-born coach in NHL history and he has close ties to Blue Jackets president of hockey operations John Davidson.
                            http://www.tsn.ca/blue-jackets-fire-...rella-1.380172

Comment

Working...
                            X