Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hockey - General (From Playing to Thoughts on the Game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As the 2021-22 NHL season opens, the Coyotes are the only team with plans to fully relax its game-day dress code for players, according to an ESPN survey of all 32 teams.

Comment

• Looks like they are getting ready for Austin Matthews
      THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

• If the Rangers do become active bidders for Eichel, it won’t necessarily be because they prefer the Sabres’ excommunicated ex-captain to Mika Zibanejad,

Comment

• I know one or two people asked to keep an update on my son Kyle in college, so here is the best spot I guess.

He is currently playing club hockey for Farmingdale who has 2 teams this season (a D2 and a D3 team). He missed tryouts due to a separated shoulder so as a Freshman, they opted to put him on the D3 team without doing tryouts. They opened up their season on Friday vs. a very good Columbia team. They lost 7 to 4. Kyle had 2 amazing assists in the game and pulled the about 300 fans out of their seats several times in the game. Despite losing the game, Kyle was probably the best player on the ice.

They then played a Suffolk Community College team on Saturday night, who is not very good. They dominated the game, but the Farmingdale goalie struggled and they somehow stayed in the game. They ended up just edging them out 7 to 6 in the game. Kyle had 5 points in the game. He did this while in the middle of the game he caught a puck and we are still not sure if he broke his finger. He played half the game with one hand and still had 2 assists after that. He had a snipe early in the game off a give and go. He played about 55% of both of these games where he was out every other shift and all of the time on the PPs.

Next up, they play in the Danbury Arena vs. Western CT on Friday night. All in all, 7 points in 2 games and playing like the best player on the ice in both games, is where he should be. The tier 2 team is 3 and 0 and will be one of the top teams in the country for D2. Technically they could call Kyle up, but they are sitting about 5 to 6 players every game, so they likely will want Kyle to stay down on their team especially considering their team only has 11 forwards as they have a couple of injuries.

Comment

• Originally posted by gazaroog View Post
            I know one or two people asked to keep an update on my son Kyle in college, so here is the best spot I guess.

He is currently playing club hockey for Farmingdale who has 2 teams this season (a D2 and a D3 team). He missed tryouts due to a separated shoulder so as a Freshman, they opted to put him on the D3 team without doing tryouts. They opened up their season on Friday vs. a very good Columbia team. They lost 7 to 4. Kyle had 2 amazing assists in the game and pulled the about 300 fans out of their seats several times in the game. Despite losing the game, Kyle was probably the best player on the ice.

They then played a Suffolk Community College team on Saturday night, who is not very good. They dominated the game, but the Farmingdale goalie struggled and they somehow stayed in the game. They ended up just edging them out 7 to 6 in the game. Kyle had 5 points in the game. He did this while in the middle of the game he caught a puck and we are still not sure if he broke his finger. He played half the game with one hand and still had 2 assists after that. He had a snipe early in the game off a give and go. He played about 55% of both of these games where he was out every other shift and all of the time on the PPs.

Next up, they play in the Danbury Arena vs. Western CT on Friday night. All in all, 7 points in 2 games and playing like the best player on the ice in both games, is where he should be. The tier 2 team is 3 and 0 and will be one of the top teams in the country for D2. Technically they could call Kyle up, but they are sitting about 5 to 6 players every game, so they likely will want Kyle to stay down on their team especially considering their team only has 11 forwards as they have a couple of injuries.
            Great stuff, Gaz!

It's fun to play for your school, isn't it?

My younger son Matt played roller hockey for the Michigan club team for 4 years. They were generally not very good (Michigan State was the class of their conference) but he loved playing. It's really nice that you can go to all of his games. I generally went to watch Matt 1 or 2 weekends per season.

"There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

Comment

• Originally posted by mw147 View Post

Great stuff, Gaz!

It's fun to play for your school, isn't it?

My younger son Matt played roller hockey for the Michigan club team for 4 years. They were generally not very good (Michigan State was the class of their conference) but he loved playing. It's really nice that you can go to all of his games. I generally went to watch Matt 1 or 2 weekends per season.

It was awesome. I love watching him play and I'm lucky that I will be able to watch a lot of his games this season (when I'm not coaching my other son's travel team). His goal is to make a NCAA D3 club in his 3rd year. We will see how it goes.

And yes I remember you telling me about your son playing Roller in college. These are memories they will have for a lifetime and as a parent, for us as well. Great stuff!

Comment

I know one or two people asked to keep an update on my son Kyle in college, so here is the best spot I guess.

Oh man that is exciting stuff! I have to say I have always wondered how these NHL guys can catch pucks with their hands. The only ones I caught with my hands were flutter pucks and even then every time I did I had a bruise on my hand. Always hurt like hell.

Great to see the kid has the old school mentality and played through the pain. As John Forslund would say "thats hockey baby" I hope it will be alright and sure sounds like a call up will be coming this year for him. Keep us posted!
                Last edited by TK27; 10-11-2021, 11:39 PM.
                THE Boards Token Canadian Fan

Comment

• Good stuff, Gaz. Great update!

My son is no where near that level LOL but he has fun doing what he is doing anyways with varsity and club..

Comment

• Originally posted by TK27 View Post

Oh man that is exciting stuff! I have to say I have always wondered how these NHL guys can catch pucks with their hands. The only ones I caught with my hands were flutter pucks and even then every time I did I had a bruise on my hand. Always hurt like hell.

Great to see the kid has the old school mentality and played through the pain. As John Forslund would say "thats hockey baby" I hope it will be alright and sure sounds like a call up will be coming this year for him. Keep us posted!
                    Hahaha. I spoke to his coach at the end of the game and I asked him if he thinks his finger is broken. He says "I'm not sure, but I kept throwing him out there because I knew he would go". I said, "yeah, he's a hockey player". And he's like "EXACTLY!". I'm not sure my wife was on the same page with us. LOL.

He's getting an x-ray today. I don't think it is broke.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyD View Post
                      Good stuff, Gaz. Great update!

My son is no where near that level LOL but he has fun doing what he is doing anyways with varsity and club..
                      Didn't our kids paths cross years ago TD?

That is awesome that he is still playing and loves it.

My other son is a goalie and he is playing travel for the Royals and varsity for High School. He is stepping up his game. He literally had 61 shots on him last night and only gave up 4 goals (none of them softies either). It's hockey every single night in our household! LOL

Comment

Didn't our kids paths cross years ago TD?

That is awesome that he is still playing and loves it.

My other son is a goalie and he is playing travel for the Royals and varsity for High School. He is stepping up his game. He literally had 61 shots on him last night and only gave up 4 goals (none of them softies either). It's hockey every single night in our household! LOL
                        I am not sure about that, Christopher is a 2004, would they be at the same age level? I know one of his teams played the Royals a number of years ago when the organization played in the EJEPL.

60 shots? Holy crap! Should have bought him a beer after that game LOL - That's great, I am sure he loved it too, goalies are a different breed.

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyD View Post

I am not sure about that, Christopher is a 2004, would they be at the same age level? I know one of his teams played the Royals a number of years ago when the organization played in the EJEPL.

60 shots? Holy crap! Should have bought him a beer after that game LOL - That's great, I am sure he loved it too, goalies are a different breed.
                          Yup. They did. Kyle is an 03 and some years you have combined 03 and 04s playing together. He played in the EJ his first season of travel with the Royals. I think that's when they crossed paths.

Jack was pumped last night when he came home. He LOVED it. And he is one strange breed for certain!

Comment

Yup. They did. Kyle is an 03 and some years you have combined 03 and 04s playing together. He played in the EJ his first season of travel with the Royals. I think that's when they crossed paths.

Jack was pumped last night when he came home. He LOVED it. And he is one strange breed for certain!
                            ahh, okay yeah then they must have crossed paths!

Comment

• As the 2021-22 NHL season begins, all eyes are on the Seattle Kraken, who arrive at just the right time. Elliotte Friedman writes about the expansion franchise, as well as Brady Tkachuk, pre-season predictions, and more.

Comment

• Scituate’s Ryan Donato is now the answer to a trivia question as owner of the first goal in Kraken history.

Comment

Working...
                                X