Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hockey - General (From Playing to Thoughts on the Game)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Ken Dryden article on hits to the head
    Ken Dryden spent years driving home the grave danger of concussions and head trauma. Now, in this exclusive essay and his new book Game Change, the NHL legend says the time for talk is over. We need a non-negotiable rule on every rink, every game, he argues: No hits to the head, no excuses

    Comment


    • #18
      Dave "Tiger" Williams, the former Toronto Maple Leafs professional hockey player, has been charged with sexual assault and assault after an incident on a military flight during a trip to visit Canadian troops in Latvia.

      Comment


      • #19
        There could be a job waiting for him in Washington if its true.

        Comment


        • #20
          Originally posted by 31GOALIE31 View Post

          There could be a job waiting for him in Washington if its true.
          He is more likely to be in Hollywood

          Comment


          • #21
            In the 2000s, he was an NHL tough guy. But now B.C. native Stephen Peat is homeless and suffering from

            Comment


            • #22
              Sad and scary.
              "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

              Comment


              • #23
                NEW YORK — Leading the NHL’s Department of Player Safety can be a thankless vocation. You take punches from every direction. You deal with angry...

                Comment


                • #24
                  His plan is to build an arena at the site of an old movie theater, but that property is in the middle of a deal to be sold to an auto dealer.

                  Comment


                  • #25
                    Very cool. I hope he prevails.

                    Comment


                    • #26
                      I'm gearing up for my son's tryout for the Triple A Royal team. He is going through the tune ups and the tryouts are in a week. The coach almost took him last year. This year the coach has already given me great feedback telling him he is right in the mix and telling me how impressed he is with how much progress he has made. It would be pretty cool if he makes it as there has been a bunch of NHLers, minor league players to come from them and most play in college. I have no grand delusions of him making the NHL, but his goal is to play in college.

                      Comment


                      • #27
                        Originally posted by gazaroog View Post
                        I'm gearing up for my son's tryout for the Triple A Royal team. He is going through the tune ups and the tryouts are in a week. The coach almost took him last year. This year the coach has already given me great feedback telling him he is right in the mix and telling me how impressed he is with how much progress he has made. It would be pretty cool if he makes it as there has been a bunch of NHLers, minor league players to come from them and most play in college. I have no grand delusions of him making the NHL, but his goal is to play in college.
                        As you know I am a college hockey fan. Playing in college would be fantastic! I have seen a lot of young men play juniors or USHL for 2 years after high school, then enter college at 20 years old. They get to keep living the dream.

                        By the way the Frozen Four is this Thursday night. You guys should definitely watch!
                        The Big 10 has 3 of the 4 teams. First game is Minnesota Duluth vs. Ohio State. 2nd game is Michigan vs. Notre Dame. You know who I am rooting for, Go Blue!

                        "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

                        Comment


                        • #28
                          Originally posted by mw147 View Post

                          As you know I am a college hockey fan. Playing in college would be fantastic! I have seen a lot of young men play juniors or USHL for 2 years after high school, then enter college at 20 years old. They get to keep living the dream.

                          By the way the Frozen Four is this Thursday night. You guys should definitely watch!
                          The Big 10 has 3 of the 4 teams. First game is Minnesota Duluth vs. Ohio State. 2nd game is Michigan vs. Notre Dame. You know who I am rooting for, Go Blue!
                          I'm not sure I would have him delay college to play in Juniors. Although my son is a really good hockey player, the chances of him going pro is so small, I have to be a realist. I guess it depends on this upcoming season. If I see him tear it up at the Triple A level, maybe that will change my thoughts, but as of now, I'd love to see if he can just play in college out of HS.

                          Comment


                          • #29
                            Originally posted by gazaroog View Post

                            I'm not sure I would have him delay college to play in Juniors. Although my son is a really good hockey player, the chances of him going pro is so small, I have to be a realist. I guess it depends on this upcoming season. If I see him tear it up at the Triple A level, maybe that will change my thoughts, but as of now, I'd love to see if he can just play in college out of HS.
                            I have only seen it from a distance, but playing the 2 years after high school is what leads to college scholarships for players who want to keep playing but are not getting drafted at 18, and colleges are not falling all over themselves to bring them in. But at 20, they are more mature, and can help a college team much more than they could at 18. That is how Quinnipiac built their program, bringing in less heralded 19 and 20 year olds . Take a look at Devon Toews. I am pretty sure he played an extra year in juniors (minor juniors, major junior players can't play NCAA hockey). Then I believe he was a 19 year old freshman at QU. It's a viable way to go to college and play hockey. I don't know enough to tell you whether it is a path for your son, but it is something you might want to get educated on.

                            "There’s unfinished business," coach Barry Trotz said.

                            Comment


                            • #30
                              Originally posted by mw147 View Post

                              I have only seen it from a distance, but playing the 2 years after high school is what leads to college scholarships for players who want to keep playing but are not getting drafted at 18, and colleges are not falling all over themselves to bring them in. But at 20, they are more mature, and can help a college team much more than they could at 18. That is how Quinnipiac built their program, bringing in less heralded 19 and 20 year olds . Take a look at Devon Toews. I am pretty sure he played an extra year in juniors (minor juniors, major junior players can't play NCAA hockey). Then I believe he was a 19 year old freshman at QU. It's a viable way to go to college and play hockey. I don't know enough to tell you whether it is a path for your son, but it is something you might want to get educated on.
                              We have someone we know who it is doing it now. I definitely though as you state, need to educate myself more on it. It really is going to depend on how well he plays in the next 2 years as a 15 and 16 year old.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X